Author Topic: New Rifle In Progress  (Read 7496 times)

Offline k gahagan

Re: New Rifle In Progress
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 03:09:01 AM »
I think this gun and the one Ian made before it are the best contemporary guns that have been made. The level of creavitity and execution are outstanding. The fact that all the designs are original thought have set the bar very high.

Offline Doc

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 06:29:14 AM »
Wow, just wow!!!

Doc

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 06:36:16 AM »
What Ken said.  Great job, Ian!  Thanks for posting!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 07:34:24 AM »
Incredible and impeccable! 

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline rsells

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 07:50:10 AM »
Ian,
A great looking rifle.  I hope all is going well for you.  Take care and keep up the great work.
                                                                                           Roger Sells

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 08:03:40 AM »
Excellent work.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2018, 03:38:32 PM »
Yes sir.  Yeally nice stuff.  Your wacky mind is showinging itself! 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »
I think this gun and the one Ian made before it are the best contemporary guns that have been made. The level of creavitity and execution are outstanding. The fact that all the designs are original thought have set the bar very high.

I agree, but of course art is subjective. I’m glad that there is support for this kind of creative work.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »
Yes sir.  Your wacky mind is showinging itself!
Where's the "Like" button for comments?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:22:26 PM by David Rase »

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 05:56:42 AM »
Looks like I showed up here just in time while the thinly veiled insults from my friends are showing signs of emerging.  Thanks everybody for the very kind words and I will be sure to post some more photos. To answer the questions that were brought up -

I hope this one will be displayed at the CLA show but can't guarantee it . It should be finished by then but I don't know what the owner's plans are. He has been incredibly patient waiting for this one to be done.

The scalloped molding will be on both sides of the comb, I had scraped the pencil lines off the cheekpiece side if that's why you wondered. Here's a picture of the two edge of comb inlays ready to be inlet -

Rolf, you had asked about the style / school. Not easy to describe - this one is not a copy of a particular builder's work, more so an attempted  fresh take on established techniques and concepts.  I try to place a gun regionally by incorporating my own twists on expected features and details, and try to place it on the timeline by showing influences from work that would have been earlier, also sometimes trying to link these to similar details that would show up on later guns.  The hard part is trying to make it all feel like it's plausible and not thrown together.
I do have my own story about where this gun might have come from. but for me it's kind of cool to hear what other people see in it rather than fill in the blanks and shut off people's imaginations.

Couple more pictures - The customer had supplied me with some silver coins to use for inlays. I melted down the clippings to cast a little slug then hammered it into a piece to use for a barrel signature plate. That's just a little pile of fire bricks to help hold the heat around the crucible.  I set it up in my wood stove to suck some of the heat out of the shop.   

Almost forgot - Ron, I had to scrap the patchbox release under the muzzle cap project, couldn't get the temper right on the pushrod and kept exploding forends off guns.  That kind of nonsense gets expensive in a hurry. 

Vomitus

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 10:54:44 PM »
   I ran over a snake once...on my Harley...a BIG snake,  a northern Bullsnake. I would be lying if I told you it was ten feet long because it was bigger(draped across a 10 foot wide road lane and it wasn't stretched out.) Almost spun out when I gunned it going over it...didn't look back...freaked me right out! Keremeos BC.
Aweful nice gun Ian! I've always loved your iron work.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:58:33 PM by Leatherbelly »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 11:58:06 PM »
You need to wash your hands before carving.....
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 12:00:30 AM »
It's a spectacular piece of artistry and workmanship.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline heinz

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 01:27:03 AM »
Great rifle Ian!
kind regards, heinz

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 11:19:56 PM »
You can tell you have lots of friends from the ribbing you are getting.  REALLY nice work on that Fowler - one that any of us would be proud to own.
You are giving others plenty of creative ideas for upcoming projects.

And PLEASE - wash those paws before carving!!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 06:44:10 AM »
Some more "in progress " shots from last month. The rifle is actually finished , I'll post some pictures of it after the customer has seen it.

The inlays alongside the box and the general shape of the box itself were inspired by an original in relic condition. I modified the serpents to give them more detail but the placement (and the wire tongues!) were inspired by the original.

I often set parts in body putty to engrave them, usually on a block of scrap wood. Makes for a solid mount when the block is grabbed in a vise. When finished you heat it and it pops free. I cover screw holes on the back side with small pieces of masking tape, otherwise putty will squeeze through and you have to dig it out to break the part loose.

The trade gun style  wrist inlay with engraving finished. I fumed it over ammonia for some base color and later subjected it to more disgusting patina torture. The screw was temporary.

The finished silver signature plate from the earlier photos

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2018, 07:34:21 AM »
Now you're just teasing us, Ian!!!!  Lovely stuff.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »
Neat rifle, Ian. I like your style. Look forward to seeing the finished product.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2018, 02:34:03 PM »
 Fanfrick'ntastic!

Tim

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »
I like how the carving above the cheek piece recalls the snake inlays but without really being snakes.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline louieparker

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2018, 03:43:47 PM »
Ian, VERY impressive ! The snakes remind me of a dug rifle that Jim Dressler had . ..  Will You have it at the CLA ?   Louie 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
Be prepared, that tumb piece is going to fall to bits from the amonia fuming.  At least that's what I hear. ;)

Really beautiful, Ian.  A lot of layers, texture and interest.  So much for the eye to enjoy. 

Jim

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »
Your recent stuff is over the top in eye. I've always said if I could  afford a contemporary collection I would  love to have something from you where you were just turned loose with nothing but trade gun hints like this one. Would also do Kibler the same but tie him to a 1790-1710 time frame ; )

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2018, 08:28:53 PM »
Thank you very much guys, glad you are enjoying it!

Jim I think you must be right, I just had a look at the rifle and the thumb piece is totally gone, nothing left but a smoking crater. I wish you would have stopped me sooner. Thinking about making these out of stainless from here out.

Robert thank you, I was trying to base my carving not entirely on "American rococo", wanted to incorporate a different kind of stylized serpentine / vinelike flow - kind of meld the two approaches without having literal vegetative shapes with volutes shooting out of them.     

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2018, 08:40:32 PM »
   Ian your work always impressed me. Once again incredible craftsmanship.
   Oldtravler