Author Topic: Lefty Lucy  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Telgan

Re: Lefty Lucy
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »
Mike, You forgot to drag it down the road behind the truck . . .  Must be waiting till you get the Ford back
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:49:20 AM by Telgan »

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 09:40:58 PM »
Very nice gun. My dad is building me a lefty rifle. If you want to Check it out go to gun building then click 50 cal being built..!
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

DLJ6

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 04:08:11 AM »
Very nice, really like both the wood and furniture finish.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 03:48:50 PM »
Nice job Mike. I like the color on it also like many others. What kind of tung oil are you using. I used some tung oil on a table top once and it water spotted really bad. Don't remember what brand I used but that is why I've never tried it on gun stocks.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 04:19:25 PM »
Nice job Mike. I like the color on it also like many others. What kind of tung oil are you using. I used some tung oil on a table top once and it water spotted really bad. Don't remember what brand I used but that is why I've never tried it on gun stocks.
Formby's. Only because it's what the tiny hardware store carries 5 miles down the road, they usually only have one bottle on the shelf, I think they only keep one bottle in  stock for me...…. I use it more as a base as I basically steel wool most all of it off the surface and use Bri Wax as top coats. There are probably 5 or six coats of tung oil on that gun before it quits sucking it in. Once that happens it gets shot flat black and scrubbed back till I like how it looks.
 Some of the worst finishes for water spotting I have used is anything with linseed oil in it. I have had guns go pure white and slimy in the rain.
 Chamber's finish is tung oil…..probably some other stuff in it as well. I used to use his finish all the time but I always seemed to be out of it when I need it RIGHT NOW! So I started in with this Formby's 'cause I can get it locally. Really the only reason I use it. Same with the dyes I use, I got about a life time supply of powder and can mix up a new batch any time....if I could remember what ratios I used the first time..... ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?