Author Topic: Austin Hackworth  (Read 2962 times)

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Austin Hackworth
« on: July 14, 2018, 11:28:53 PM »
Southern longrifle fans may enjoy seeing these images of a rifle attributed to a seldom-encountered Tennessee maker, Austin Hackworth. 

The rifle has the initials "A H" on the barrel top, on an inlay behind the cheekpiece, and on the stock.  Since his initials appear on this rifle in three places, I speculate that this may have been Austin Hackworth's personal rifle.  There were two Austin Hackworths, father and son.  This rifle's maker, Austin Augustus Hackworth, was born in 1793 in Caroline County, Virginia.  (The senior AH was born in 1746, served in the Bedford County, Virginia militia during the Revolution, and lived to age 101).

The senior AH moved his family from Virginia to East Tennessee (near the Beans) shortly after Jr. was born. The family later moved down to Marion County, just NW of Chattanooga, and this rifle was presumably made there.  (Much of this information comes from Jerry Noble's 4th volume and from Jim Whisker's Tennessee book). 

62 1 /2" overall; 45" barrel, approximately .42 caliber rifled. It is iron mounted, excerpt for two brass bolt sideplates and four silver escutcheon plates on each side of the forestock. 

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:32:44 PM by WElliott »
Wayne Elliott

Offline Howard

Re: Austin Hackworth
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 12:36:24 AM »
This is a very high standard impeccable  well made rifle.  I like it !!

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 01:27:04 AM »
Beautiful Wayne.
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 02:48:38 AM »
Such an outstanding rifle.  Might even provide sufficient reason for a collector to shift their focus to similar works.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 04:04:08 AM »
 :o :o :o.. Thanx, Wayne,... I've never seen this one,... high-style Tennessee gun,... appears that barrel tang extends quite a way down over  the comb,... is there a photo of the tang,...??? ....

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 06:53:10 AM »
Correct. The tang runs all the way back to meet the buttplate heel.
Wayne Elliott

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 06:58:39 AM »
Another awesome rifle Wayne, thanks for sharing!
Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 07:03:50 AM »
I know very little about rifles made in the Chattanooga area, other than the typical Soddy Daisy style. As others have noted, the Hackworth rifle is a well-crafted rifle. It  hints of East Tennessee Mountain roots, but it has, perhaps, taken on a more cosmopolitan Chattanooga flavor. 
Wayne Elliott

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »
That is one fine Southern rifle, Wayne, thanks for posting it.
 Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 03:24:28 PM »
Thank you, lady and gentlemen, for your kind comments.  The Hackworth rifle is not the sort of Tennessee rifle we see everyday, and I thought I should share it.  Molly, you and hubby should plan to come to the Tennessee show in Knoxville, April 12-13, 2019. The archetecture and ironwork on Southern "Mountain" rifles will grow on you. 

Below is a picture of the tang on the Hackworth rifle.  It is 13" long, extending back to the heel of the buttplate.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:30:07 PM by WElliott »
Wayne Elliott

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 03:38:19 PM »
Yessir- That's a stunning rifle. Are the sideplates brass? How much drop does it have? How long is the barrel. Tell us more. Thanks for posting.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 09:14:42 PM »
That is an outstanding piece of workmanship and artistic ability.  Love the swoop of the buttstock.

Hard to imagine all the things that happened in the first AH's lifetime!  Formation of a new nation, with completely different type of government.  Adaptation of the steam engine for the first trains, and also used in boats and manufacturing plants.  The Lewis and Clark expedition.  Opening the West with mountain men, then followed by the beginning of the great migration west.  just tons of stuff happening, and that man was a witness to all.

And his son certainly knew how to build a rifle!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 02:42:53 AM »
That is a rifle to drool over.  Thank you for sharing that one with us.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 03:04:43 AM »
Not what you would expect.    Butt....... I do love surprises !  Thanks for sharing.   Jim
JIM

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »
The drop is 4 3/4”.   It appears the 45” barrel has been shortened 1” at the muzzle.
The sideplates are brass. The buttplate and guard are iron.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 04:35:44 AM »
The Hackworth’s came to the Jasper area when the Indian lands opened up. They moved part of the family down the Tennessee river with my family and cleared land along the river. I believe he was a member of the Masonic Lodge in Jasper. My cousin claims to have one of his rifles that passed down the their line. I have yet to see it.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 05:19:21 AM »
Sequatchie, that is a wonderful connection your family had to the Hackworths!  I look forward to learning more.
Wayne Elliott

Offline bgf

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 08:46:04 PM »
Thank you for letting us see this.  Elegant without even risking gaudy, an excellent mountain rifle! 

The area that rifle is from always produces interesting specimens, too.  Smith's moved into area from several distinct, mature gun building regions and the styles were organically combined in short order.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 10:45:51 PM »
Living close to the “Old Hog Road” and the Tennessee river encouraged competition and ingenuity. There was a rail line that ran up the valley from Pikeville and connected to the Huntsville and Memphis lines in Bridgeport. On down the river is Guntersville, on the downstream side of the old rapids. Between Bridgeport and Scottsboro was Creektown where thrived a wonderful trading center with the Indians well before the railroad. You could float from the East Tennessee mountains all the way to the settlement in Nashville as the Donelson party did and avoid traveling the old Walton road and Avery traceover the plateau where Indians hid behind every rock!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:25:46 AM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 11:46:35 PM »
Living close to the “Old Hog Road” and the Tennessee river encouraged competition and ingenuity. Their was a rail line that ran up the valley from Pikeville and connected to the Huntsville and Memphis lines in Bridgeport. On down the river is Guntersville, on the downstream side of the old rapids. Between Bridgeport and Scottsboro was Creektown where thrived a wonderful trading center with the Indians well before the railroad. You could float from the East Tennessee mountains all the way to the settlement in Nashville as the Donelson party did and avoid traveling the old Walton road and Avery traceover the plateau where Indians hid behind every rock!

Was Guntersville a settlement of surveyors?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 04:37:30 AM »
Guntersville had a ferry and a salt mine I believe. Gunter established excellent relations with the local Cherokees and I think he married the daughter of a chief.