Author Topic: CLA Auction Crosby Hamel Hunting Set  (Read 1411 times)

Offline heinz

CLA Auction Crosby Hamel Hunting Set
« on: July 03, 2018, 05:33:55 AM »
Early 19th Century Bag and Horn Set by Tim Crosby and Marc Hamel
text by Tim Crosby
Photos by H Ahlers

This Virginia style horn and strap is by Tim Crosby.  The horn features screw tips and finial and an antler collar with a horn tip.  The Tim Crosby patch knife has a turned antler handle and a bolster from a recycled pipe axe bowl.  Tim also created the accouterments; a turned pewter powder measure with a turned wooden tip, a horse hair brush  and work hardened copper vent pick, both with turned antler handles. 

The hunting bag is by Marc Hamel. the body is 2-3 oz cowhide and the flap is lined 4-5 oz cowhide.  The styling is early 19th century with an English influence: perhaps from either Virginia, the Carolinas or Savannah.  The cross and sunburst on the flap reflects John 8:12 “I am the light of the world. Whosoever follows Me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.”  Marc also made the matching knife sheath with scalloped welt.  The buckle and copper accoutrement hanger were provided byBob Hill.

If you attend the auction take the opportunity to handle this set. It is a great combination of the work of a long time CLA artist, Tim, and a talented new artist, Marc.

For more information on the artist’s and their products you may contact them.

Tim Crosby's contact information is: ccrosby004@columbus.rr.com

Marc Hamel’s contact information is: bodneytower@gmail.com

The Contemporary Longrifle Foundation will have the Live Auction Fundraiser for the Contemporary Longrifle Association at the CLA Annual Meeting on Friday August 17 in Lexington Kentucky.
The CLF live auction takes place at the annual meeting of the CLA in Lexington, Ky on August 17 this year.  The Auction will take place in the Convention Center Exhibit Hall at 5:00 PM.
The CLA meeting and exhibition is for members only, however, non-members have two options.  They may attend and join at the meeting for $20.00 for their first year (with certain restrictions). Non-members may also use the absentee bidding process described on the CLA web currently under the CLF 2017 Auction section.  You also may call the CLA office for details 540-886-6189

Be sure to visit the CLF 2018 Auction website going up n July 15 for extended descriptions of the items and more photographs of each item.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:04:00 PM by Tim Crosby »
kind regards, heinz

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: CLA Auction Crosby Hamel Hunting Set
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 02:24:02 PM »
Very nicely made set and for certain combination of talent. It'll hunt!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:37:43 PM by James Rogers »

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 03:14:58 PM »
I’ll have to agree with James.  Couldn’t be done by a finer pair of gentlemen, either.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 03:43:27 PM »
Great looking collaboration guys...some lucky bidder is getting a very nice rig!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. This was quite a nice surprise today. I am thankful that Tim asked me to participate. I hope the set brings good money for the CLA. I am no James Rogers, but I had fun. God Bless, Marc

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 01:08:38 AM »
 Thanks guys. Marc did a great job on the bag, it just so happened that I had a horn ready to go that matched up with it perfectly(at least I think so) He had the bag made when I finished the knife and he was kind of...how the heck am I suppose to hang this thing but he came up with a great idea.
 You can't see it but the hanger that Bob Hill made for the Pick/Measure/Brush is really cool. So cool as a matter of fact that I am going to start using them, best design I have seen to hang them.
 The horn is a double screw tip and the finial is thread as well.

Overkill

Tim

Offline heinz

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »
Since Tim bragged on this hanger I dragged the bag out of the dog crate, where Stormy is aging it, and took some photos.  It is an elegant solution.

kind regards, heinz

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 03:10:01 AM »
VERY nice attaching point - could be used for a lot of things.  Very creative!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 03:38:36 AM »
Yes, Bob Hill is very creative and skilled at creating a variety of desirable objects.  When Bob gave me that, I was thinking ahead of where I'd use it.  It ended up being needed right away for the CLA auction pouch to hang Tim's accessories.  When I first saw the hanger, I mentally named it the "octopus hanger".  Squint and you'll see it.  :-)   God Bless and best wishes,   Marc