Author Topic: Hawkes New England Fowler  (Read 4215 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Hawkes New England Fowler
« on: July 04, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »
Hi,
New England arms historian, Richard Colten, and I had the opportunity to closely examine this gun with the kind assistance of Beth Gilgun of the Memorial Museum at Historic Deerfield, MA.  It is cherry stocked and likely made somewhere along the Connecticut River Valley perhaps as early as the 1740s or 1750s.  It is in remarkably good consition likely because the thin walled barrel developed a hole about 3/4s the way toward the muzzle.  Rather than cut it off and shorten the stock, we suspect it was just put aside.  The French parts appear to be from the 1740s.  The 57" barrel is 62 cal, has octagon flats for 9" forward of the breech and then transitions to round with no band.  There is a flat sighting ramp on top of the barrel extending from the breech all the way to the silver front sight.  It is about 1.22" across at the breech but tapers so rapidly in the first 6 inches that the rest of the barrel is almost straight. Hardware is brass and well engraved but without a lot of shading.  The buttplate return and triggerguard have fabulous sculpted finials. The lock is held on with 3 bolts. The original ramrod has what appears to be a silver tip that completely covers the end of the rod.  This link will show you a full length photo of the gun:
  http://www.memorialhall.mass.edu/collection/itempage.jsp?itemid=5200
I am building a gun very similar to this but with a shorter barrel. I am going to try and copy the hardware as closely as possible.  I will post photos of the build starting next month.

Enjoy,

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Hawkes New England Fowler
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 11:53:49 PM »
Beautiful
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Big Wolf

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 12:42:42 AM »
That’s a really nice Fowler.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 01:01:48 AM »
Really nice. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to share the pictures. Look forward to following the build of your similar Fowler. Tim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 03:27:51 PM »
Exceptional gun. How long is the lock? I suspect it may be off a buck an ear.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 05:29:01 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for looking folks,
Mike the lock is 6" long and 1.19" wide behind the pan fence. I wish we could remove the lock to see if it has an internal bridle.  It is an exceptional gun and only weighs 7lbs 6 oz.  A little information on Jonathan Hawkes, he was born in Deerfield, MA in 1707 and died in 1784.  He was an officer of provincial troops during the F&I war and was with Amherst when he took Fort Ticonderoga in 1759.  It is interesting to speculate when the gun was built.  It definitely shows wear, particularly around the pan and vent hole so it was likely used quite a bit, yet the stock is in great condition.  Richard Colton and I agree that the lock, barrel, and hardware are from the 1740s or even earlier.  However, that does not indicate when the gun was made.

dave

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »
Remarkable set of images Dave!  You photograph with the builder in mind.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 10:09:57 PM »
Interesting piece, thanks for sharing it with us.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 10:51:50 PM »
A really beautiful fowler Dave. Thanks for posting.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 01:00:39 AM »
It's a beautiful piece.  However, I'm a bit torn as to how to date it.  I do not think it's a 1740s gun.  Off hand I would put it maybe 1760s give or take a bit.  What I find especially interesting is the three lock screws, especially because it appears the side plate was made to accommodate a 3rd screw, unless I am viewing the picture incorrectly.  This would be extremely archaic even in the 1740s.  The only explanation I can see for this, especially with a lock only 6" long, is that either the maker or the customer, or both, were outrageously conservative.  Frankly despite the extremely artistry and fine construction of the piece, the three screw lock seems quite out of place.  Also the third bolt seems to cut into the engraving on the lock in a way which leads me to think it was an afterthought, although if I am viewing the pictures correctly and the side plate is designed to accommodate the third bolt, might lead to contradictory interpretation! 

Thanks for the photos because it's an awesome fowler regardless.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 01:30:36 AM »
Most all the parts are French ca. 1730's-40's, except for the lock and sideplate which I believe are slightly earlier, probably 1700-1720, the French were still using three screw locks on their trade guns through that period, although usually slightly larger, up to 6 7/8" or so. If I had to guess I'd say the lock is not bridled on the inside as it was/is a trade gun lock. So, we're probably looking at parts from two donor guns. The gun in it's present form was probably made ca.1760's - 70's.

Lots of functioning guns and busted up guns came out of the raid on Quebec......can't remember exactly when that was....but anyway, these guns ended up being restocked all over New England for several decades there after.

And, that's all I got to say about that. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 01:44:21 AM »
Dave, will you cast your own hardware for this project or modify something available?
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 02:11:35 AM »
Thank you all for commenting,
I am inclined to believe Mike's description having viewed the gun up close.  I wish we could remove the lock.  It is very robust and appears well made but the engraving really is one-dimensional.  The trigger guard, side plate, and butt plate are much finer than the lock.  I think it is a composite gun from the 1750s or 1760s. Now, keep in mind that Hawk was 43 in 1750 and 53 in 1760 and the gun shows wear on the lock.  Fifty three was an old man then.  I suggest the gun was made prior to the 1760s.  My guess is that it was made early enough such that Hawk used it until it developed a hole in the barrel and then put it aside.  This is a superior New England gun and deserves study.

dave     
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:12:41 AM by smart dog »

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »
Fantastic!

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 02:08:16 AM »
Hi Dave, Can't wait to see your progress on this fowler. That original is a beautiful gun, love the French style butt stock.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2023, 04:27:08 PM »
It’s beautiful. It could stand to have the rust removed.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.