Author Topic: First Attempt at Carving - Critiques Appreciated.  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: First Attempt at Carving - Critiques Appreciated.
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
Craig, with the veiner, or parting tool, watch your depth of cut so you don't go too deep. The wider the curl, the deeper you're going. You'll get the hang of depth control. If you find you didn't go deep enough, you can re-cut.

I drive the parting tool with a small mallet, which gives me sure control. For tight turns, lighten up on the taps so you don't overshoot your intended path. I know this now.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Coal-Cracker

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 11:35:04 PM »
As mentioned by the members here, in addition to working on technique, I would really benefit from getting some up-close examination of contemporary work.
I live less than an hour from Dixon's. I attended the gunmakers fair last year, but it was overwhelming to someone completely new to this. This year I plan to focus more and utilize the knowledge available from the experience of other makers.

Again Thank you for the criticism. I really had fun with this. I found myself looking forward to working on the rifle.  I'm already planning my next one. ;)
I did the "in the white". Next, I believe I will step up a bit in difficulty to a Kibler kit.
Baby steps. :)

Here's  a few quick pics of the progress...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:45:02 AM by Coal-Cracker »

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 12:20:16 AM »
Your first attempt made me take a rasp to my first attempt.....

Well done. If you take the advice given here, you'll surely be turning out great carving. 

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 12:48:39 AM »
That's the thing about raised carving.  It takes a ton longer than incised or relief carving, but by being raised, that also allows you to knock back the elbows and flat spots that inevitably show up in everybody's work.  The thing about tendrils is to avoid long stretches of parallel lines and thicknesses.  That makes carving boring, and gives it a "by the numbers" look.  When it comes to curves, try to either slowly tighten them or slowly loosen them as you are progressing from one end to the other, and for sure avoid the flat spots.  Do your outside convex portions of your curves first before you start sculpting away the inside concave parts.

When you're doing incise carving your margin for error is substantially less than with raised.  I would start out with your pencil line, but BARELY make a scratch in it with your veining tool.  When you go back over it you can THEN adjust your cut to either the inside or the outside, depending on where the elbow or flat spot is.  Some guys are so good they can just do it all in one pass using mallet-driven tools.  I'm not one of them.  I need to sneak up on my finished shapes using the small pushed tools, like the Pfeil # 11 and # 12, and even those I consider to be pretty coarse.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 02:47:31 AM »
Appreciate the info re incised vs raised, Mr. Bubbles.  I think I will stick with the raised, and enjoy the slight relief from errors.  I usually am pretty good with the veiner, managing to keep the width of the curl to about 1/32" without too much problem.  I figure I can always take a bit more out, but it is a problem putting it back!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 03:08:12 AM »
Coal Cracker, I think you did a great job on your gun and carving.  I really like the finish as well.  I'm also about 30 miles from Dixon's, which of course I'll spend a few days at.  Another really great event coming up is the KRA show in Morgantown, PA in Sept..  Lot of originals to study there.  I think the info is posted  in the upcoming event section.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 03:25:40 AM »
I stand corrected on my previous post.  It is the Eastern PA Longrifle show in Morgantown, PA...