Author Topic: 1983 Cased longrifle by Hugh Toenjes  (Read 6184 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: 1983 Cased longrifle by Hugh Toenjes
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »
Hi,
Actually Mike, Hugh has taught courses at Trinidad(?) gunsmithing school in Colorado, he has had a steady stream of younger understudies working with him over the years, and he will be teaching at Friendship this year.  He asked me to join him in doing that but my commitments to Dixon's takes all the extra time I have available right now.  Hugh welcomes students.

dave
If we all taught elsewhere and not here we wouldn't have much of a forum would we? I'm probably wrong, but it seems he just pops in when he has a gun he's currently promoting. No rules against that sort of thing but it would be nice if he participated and helped teach like the rest of us here that have been at this for a long time.
 What's the deal at F-ship? Is this an organized pay up front class or something similar to what was/is done on the back porch of Gunmakers hall? This could be an excellent opportunity for him to demonstrate his wire inlay technique since it's his main method of decoration.  Of course I'm not the one to suggest how or what he demonstrates/teaches, just something I myself might be interested in. I should drive down for a couple days and observe his  technique. Maybe  in trade I could teach him how to work at break neck speed and ruin his body parts! (my only area of expertise ) ;D

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:55:30 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 06:59:29 AM »
Hi Mike,  From what I understand at this point the NMLRA have a new "educational" building at Friendship.  And the powers that be there are wanting top notch artisans who can teach the various skills of muzzle loading making to teach those skills at the new building.  This is to be by invitation only. The students  will be charged a fee per day.  The price has not been set yet but the details are being worked out this week and will be published in the Aug. issue of Muzzle Blasts.  It will be similar to the classes taught at WKU for primitive arms making.  Only this time the students will not be required to bring their own materials and tools. As I understand the NMLRA will be supplying all the materials and tools needed which will in turn become property of that organization for future education.   The classes will need to have a minimum of 6 students and no more than 12.  I will be teaching the same curriculum that I taught at Trinidad State. It is a 5 day course.  I will have more info at the end of the week.    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 03:50:05 PM »
Good to hear they're finally getting the ball rolling with that project. I hope that building hasn't been sitting idle all this time, they built it more than 15 years ago with money confiscated from the Gunmaker's Hall committee. About 15-20 years ago (maybe it was 10 or 12?) One of the Vice Presidents had contacted me to teach in that building. After many phone calls back and forth the ball was dropped and I never heard anything about it again.....oh well. ::) If they get the program going for real I'd gladly volunteer to teach for a week after I retire in a couple years, as long as they cover my expenses.
 What was the curriculum you taught at Trinidad? It's always difficult to know what you need to teach, there are so many aspects that could be covered and such a relatively short time to do it in, as you know, 5 days isn't much time to teach such a broad set of skills.

I hope it's cool down there while you're  there, that can be a miserable place weather wise to spend a week. They had talked about air conditioning that building when it was first built, but I don't know if  that ever got past the talking stage.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

JwHill

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »
This rifle will be on display at friendship in the education building during our fall shoot. Yes the education building has been a great asset to the association and is used on a regular basis. The biggest problem we have is getting people to come do classes and teach. Mr. Toenjes has agreed to do a class on the beginning of wire inlay. He has been overly accommodating to the association and it has been an honor to speak with him on numerous occasions. There will also be numerous other rifles on display with this rifle as well. The display will be called Oddity and Rarity we will have everything from this rifle as well as rifles that maybe of a somewhat odd nature.

Joe Hill
President NMLRA