Author Topic: Ron Hess Horn  (Read 1763 times)

Offline heinz

Ron Hess Horn
« on: July 12, 2018, 05:01:20 AM »
Ron Hess made this really nice little horn for the 2018 live auction. 

This great smaller sized set is constructed around a six and a half inch wide and seven-inch deep bag using leather repurposed from a boot.  Ron Hess owned this bag but it was made by fellow CLA artist Ken Scott.  Ron decided to make a Tansel style horn to fit the bag. And fortunately for us he decided to donate the end product to the CLA Auction.
This is a very successful pairing.  The great molding, scrimshaw and subtle color of the horn, along with its perfect size, compliment the handy sized hunting bag.  And Ron decided to add some accouterments as a bonus.  There is an angel silhouette bullet block, a turned antler pan brush and vent pick, and a horn powder measure.  This Honorable Company of Horners folks go all out.
Ron lives in Georgia and makes powder horns and other items constructed of horn. He is a member of the Honorable Company of Horners and gives thanks to Art Decamp and Billy Griner for their guidance and knowledge.  Researching original works and incorporating those styles and techniques is the focus of his work.  This auction item shows how successful he is at his craft

Ron Hess can be contacted at  rjhess1976@plantationcable.net

poems by John Wheelwright
kind regards, heinz

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Ron Hess Horn
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:01:36 AM »
Ron is a very giving maker. He has supported our West Coast Horn Fair several times with his work. I am fortunate enough to have one of his horns. Very nicely done. I'm sure he is only getting better.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 06:38:35 AM »
 Beautiful work by two outstanding artists. Thanks for posting, Heinz.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »
Ron is “good people” and a good friend. I have one of his Tansel horns and it is a beaut. I think this set will bring in a lot of money for the CLA. God Bless, Marc

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 09:58:19 PM »
 Pictures look good but I can't wait to see it in hand.

Tim

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:09:24 PM »
I think Ron has bionic eyesight to do that tiny, fine engraving!  Makes my eyeballs hurt just thinking about the time involved.   ;-) 

Big Wolf

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 04:17:27 AM »
Very nice