Author Topic: Bag Knife  (Read 2162 times)

Offline jcmcclure

Bag Knife
« on: July 11, 2018, 05:54:57 PM »
Overall I'm pretty happy with the way this bag knife turned out. Forged from 1084 and holds a phenomenally sharp edge. Fashioned a ball starter behind the crown end. Pics are not the best because I ran out of daylight and too pics on the anvil in the shop.
https://preview.ibb.co/dnbonT/KIMG0468_2.jpg[/img]

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Bag Knife
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 07:03:48 PM »
 ;) ;)... been watching your work that you have posted,... this one I must say is my favorite so far,... perfect shape & great colour on the handle,... what are blade & overall length,... ??? ...... regards,... CCF  ...

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 07:34:04 PM »
;) ;)... been watching your work that you have posted,... this one I must say is my favorite so far,... perfect shape & great colour on the handle,... what are blade & overall length,... ??? ...... regards,... CCF  ...

This has been my favorite so far. I actually left it setting on the anvil without doing final measurements, but Its just under 5 inch blade and 9 overall length.

I'm always working on my metal ageing and I'm happy with the results here. Sometimes the ageing process used is too much.

Thanks for the kind words sir!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:41:10 AM »
I like it...the ball starter is a nice touch!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline webradbury

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »
I wish I could find antlers around my area for smaller knives. The cow horns here have very pronounced curves. The better antlers with the crown portion are too big for smaller knives. I have quite a few but they wouldn't look right on anything short of a bowie.

Nice knife! How do you age your blades?
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 03:50:09 PM »
Very pleasing knife. I like the straight antler handle. Excellent work!

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 03:47:14 PM »
Nice. I like it.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »
The best aging I have used, is Wahkon Bay cold brown. Apply, then let sit for a few days, then sand it off. Reapply if needed. It is not as aggressive as some methods can be, and gives a more controllable and believable appearance. If you want, you can refresh the brown solution daily. Depends on the humidity.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 03:56:19 PM by LRB »

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 04:09:22 PM »
The best aging I have used, is Wahkon Bay cold brown. Apply, then let sit for a few days, then sand it off. Reapply if needed. It is not as aggressive as some methods can be, and gives a more controllable and believable appearance. If you want, you can refresh the brown solution daily. Depends on the humidity.

This is pretty much what I have found I like best. As you said it more controllable and not nearly as harsh.

n stephenson

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 04:47:54 AM »
I like this one too!  ;D    I like all the knives , I`ve seen you make , so far  ::).  You need to make one that , I don`t like , so I can tell you , and you will know that I have been  shooting you straight  , all along!! ;) ;D 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 04:07:48 PM »
Nice lines and nice finishes.  You are right, I do like your new blade finish.  I am sorry I won't be able to see you and your lovely Mrs. again this year at CLA.  Hopefully next year.  God Bless,   Marc

Big Wolf

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 04:18:30 AM »
Nicely done