Author Topic: Photos of Tip Curtis rifles and smoothbores?  (Read 7170 times)

Offline Cossack

Photos of Tip Curtis rifles and smoothbores?
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
Can anyone share photos of their Tip Curtis guns or link to others who've posted these? I think it would be useful to me and potentially to others if we could see some photos identifying some of his many different patterns of rifle and fowler, since he doesn't have a website and some of us can't go to his shop in person.

Yes, I've tried using search engine image searches, and while I can find some photos of his work, most are not identified as to the particular style or pattern.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
Re: Photos of Tip Curtis rifles and smoothbores?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to go straight to tip Curtis for your pictures of his guns, there might be less confusion that way just my humble opinion.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »
I Googled "tip Curtis muzzleloaders" and a bunch of pictures showed up. Pretty easy, even for me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cossack

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:52:46 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to go straight to tip Curtis for your pictures of his guns, there might be less confusion that way just my humble opinion.

I've done so. He says he can't/won't send them. That's fine - I know he has a business model that's worked for him for a long time, and I respect that; however, it would be useful to potential buyers and otherwise curious folks to see photos.

I've googled as well, and found lots of pictures. Many of them that come up in a google search don't turn out to be his work, and many of those that are his work aren't identified as to a particular pattern. I've found a handful that I've been able to positively identify as a specific pattern made by him.

Sorry if I'm being dense here. I called him and he told me a number of different patterns he has available. I've bought some books and done some research online and can associate certain shapes and features with certain schools of riflemaking. However, there's some variation within each school and modern makers' interpretations of them, of course. So, for example, when Mr. Curtis says he has a York or Bucks County pattern gun available, I think it would be useful to see an example of his take on those.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 12:29:57 AM »
I can't speak for sure on his kits/precarved stocks...but aside from Kibler and Chamber's kits, every other precarve/kit stock I've seen was in the general shape of the style/school but had plenty of wood to remove...if it's a Lehigh pattern, the general Lehigh shape will be there...or should be...

That gun started life as one of his "Dubb's Fowler's". 

I've searched a bit and can't find anything on Dubb's except we was a Lehigh gunsmith. So I don't know how close the gun is or isn't.  I know that's what the kit was sold as to the builder...makes a dandy smooth rifle.

If you want more pics, send me a PM and let me know what specifically you want pics of...

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 04:46:27 AM »
Cossack that's what I was wanting to say but you said it better

Offline Cossack

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 11:14:08 PM »
I came up with a solution: I went to Tip's shop. barely made it out with bank account and marriage intact.I was focusing on small bores because I'd already bought a large bore hunting rifle. Here are a few of his many patterns for reference:

Tip called these (l-r) a John Brooks pattern, a Southern pattern, and a North Carolina pattern:

The Brooks rifle, l&r:

The Southern rifle, l&r:

Lancaster: (This one is coming to stay at my house)

And the .45  8)

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 05:01:41 AM »
That has to be coolest 1911 I've ever seen.
Really enjoyed looking at the rifles in the shop - has some very nice works there.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »
They look like TVM,s.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
I am assuming the magazine well holds spare flints or Allen/Frieden screws to
hold that monstrosity together.

Bob Roller

Offline Cossack

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 11:34:35 PM »
They look like TVM,s.

I've never been close to a TVM in person, but I can see from the photos what you mean. I suppose it makes sense, as they're basically aimed at the same niche of the market.

Here's a muzzle photo for comparison. This is a .36 Cal Lancaster:

A French-style Fowler - I've seen a few other users on this forum have something similar from Mr. Curtis:

A muzzle end shot of the John Brooks pattern rifle:

I don't remember what the gun on the left is, but it was big bore. Then (L-R) a .36 cal percussion Lancaster, John Brooks .36 shown above, Lancaster .36 shown above, and the Lancaster .32 shown above:

Also, if anyone feels that the pseudo 1911 flintlock photo doesn't belong here, I'll happily remove it. I just posted it as a fun curiosity that Tip had in his shop and thought users might find it amusing.

Offline Cossack

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 12:29:57 AM »
Here's my Tip Curtis gun (and my first muzzleloader!) - the Lancaster shown above, in .32 with a 36" straight Green Mtn barrel, now at my place and in more detail:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 12:30:32 AM by Cossack »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »
My friend has known Tip for a long time, and swears by his guns for accuracy.  Not surprising with GM barrels I guess.  My buddy uses them for matches, mainly at Friendship.  He has been known to bring home medals, if that says anything.  Tip's rifles aren't flashy, but are very sound and functional.  They'd make great hunting rifles.  Best wishes, and God Bless,  Marc

Offline Cossack

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 10:36:05 PM »
Thanks Marc.
Mr. Curtis told me that he normally uses Colerain swamped barrels and Green Mountain straight barrels. I think, but can't recall for sure, that he said he uses Colerain for smoothbore barrels.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »
Yes sir Cossack.  Tip does indeed use Colerains.  Thank you for pointing out what I omitted.  Those Colerains shoot well too.   :-) 

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 11:04:20 PM »
Cossack, that was a road trip you'll never forget. I assume you drove.