Author Topic: osage trade  (Read 648 times)

Offline 65pan

osage trade
« on: July 12, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »
Been on the same place for 35 years, the kid wants the farm, and he wants us gone.
Been moving stuff to northern Minnesota since January, do you know how much "junk" a guy can collect in 35 years? LOL

I have a pickup trucks worth of hedge that I don't want to move.
Not the greatest hedge in the world, but all the staves/billets will make a bow.
All the shorter singles and piece's could be split out, they would make great hawk/axe handles.
I make cant hook handles out of the odd ball stuff. They might be a touch wavy, but you can't break-em.

I have 4 staves that are 9'.
22 staves that are 6' plus.
1 black locust log, split in half.
8 split out billets, 42"s to 53"s.
6 quarter splits that would make billets, 42"s to 53"s.
8 eighth split's, 42"s to 53"s.
14 quarter splits, 30's to 36's.
The least aged stave's are from five years back, most are from the 80s-90s, they are ready to go.

One thing to keep in mind is these are quarter splits, with some fancy wedge work, you could split most of them atleast once more.
There are also several large limbs that are whole, and several more half logs, not counted in the above list, along with a couple vine maple staves, and a number of pieces that are just "extra".
I'm guessin the pile will make a half ton pickup squat a little.
I'd like to trade the whole pile for something alot easier to move, like a nice smoke pole. LOL
The whole pile ought to be worth somewhere north of a grand in trade, or I'll be havin a really hot bonfire. LOL

You'll have to come and get it, the wood is in southeast Minnesota, near Rochester.
I plan on helpin a guy load the hedge, after that you get to unload it. LOL

Lots of blackpowder guy's takin up archery, if I was a dealer, it might not hurt to have a pile of bow staves layin around at rendevous.

Pics to an e-mail address.

I okayed this ad with Dennis.

Jim

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:52:49 PM by 65pan »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
    • Mitch Yates Gunmaker
Re: osage trade
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »
Guys
If you have an issue with a posting please contact a moderator. I've removed several post that were off topic.This gentleman received permission for his post before posting.Please don't post on a persons offering unless it pertains to the offering.

Thanks!!!

Offline amateurhour

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »
Hey if you think you'll end up keeping the pile and relocating it we put on one of the biggest traditional archery shoots in the US down here in Tennessee every April/May called the Tennessee Classic at Twin Oaks in Chapmansboro, TN.

If you talk to the owner (he's a moderator on Primitive Archer) he might be able to set you up with a space to sell them. Osage is one of the best woods for bowmaking. I'm working on a stave right now to have ready for hunting season. : )

Also check the Primitive Archer forums. They have a trade blanket section just for this kind of thing. You can't sell outright, but you can trade. There's more than a few powder slingers on there as well.

Hope that helps.

Offline rich pierce

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »
Where is this pile of Osage located?
St. Louis, Missouri

Offline jaeren

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 09:41:47 PM »
original post says "You'll have to come and get it, the wood is in southeast Minnesota, near Rochester."

Offline rich pierce

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 10:42:39 PM »
I need help, and appreciate it!  Thanks. Phone too small.
St. Louis, Missouri