Author Topic: Lock plate maker  (Read 1445 times)

Offline RockLock92

Lock plate maker
« on: July 14, 2018, 05:02:49 AM »
Anybody know who besides Chambers makes an “Early Ketland” lock? I scored this off of eBay the other day and I initially thought it was a Chambers but upon closer inspection it’s a tad smaller at 5.5 inches and has stamped ingraving. Was thinking maybe the Rifle Shoppe? Maybe I can use Chambers parts in it since it’s so close in size? It needs all the internal parts plus a frizzen spring if one of the ones in the lot of parts won’t fit... Should be an interesting project...

Offline RockLock92

Re: Lock plate maker
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 05:03:21 AM »
That’s a Chambers Ketland above it

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 05:29:24 AM »
It would be unusual for the internals from one maker’s lock to fit another without modification, when some holes are already drilled. Better off if none were drilled.
Andover, Vermont

Offline RockLock92

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:06:14 AM »
It would be unusual for the internals from one maker’s lock to fit another without modification, when some holes are already drilled. Better off if none were drilled.
I was thinking that as well.. that’s why I was hoping to figure out the maker. I forgot to mention it’s  stamped T Ketland on the plate as well

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 02:21:31 PM »
Very likely a casting from an original.  I don’t see it in the old The Rifle Shoppe catalogue or on Jack Brooks’ site which were my first two guesses.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Frank

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 02:37:24 PM »
Probably not worth the hassle. Just buy a new Chambers lock.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 03:47:33 PM »
The top plate indicates a 3 screw bridle,2 top screws and one for the sear.
NO indication of a sear spring screw in either plate.
In the mid 1960's? I think I made such a lock from parts of unknown origin.
One was for a man who refused delivery and I have no idea as to what happened
to the next one.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »

The first Siler locks had an identical tumbler to the lock I was then making,the
Chet Shoults Ketland.I abandoned that idea and went to the linked mainspring
in 1970. Willy Cochran picked up the idea and I helped him as much as possible
when he copied the style I just had abandoned.

Bob Roller

Offline blienemann

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 11:36:32 PM »
I was waiting for some old-timers to reply.  I think this lock was available from Dixie as their early Ketland lock, probably through the 60's and 70's.  It may have been copied from an original, as the design was pretty good in those days, and with a little work made a fine lock - good geometry and good spark.  I've seen these on fine custom rifles from good builders back in the day.  Seems like some were engraved like this, others plain.  Some makers would replace the frizzen spring, reshape the cock and engrave to match original locks.  Bob