Author Topic: Lost in Lehigh Land NOW FOUND!  (Read 8140 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Lost in Lehigh Land NOW FOUND!
« on: July 12, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »
Never built one of these before but I've studied on them for a while now. This one is a warm up for another I have planed. The main thing I have learned so far is how little I knew about this school, the architecture is incredibly complex. I am intrigued with this particular carving technique, incised with contoured parts below the main grade, very interesting. Getting ready to slap a Lehigh star on the cheek piece today. The box will be surrounded by thickish tapered brass wire in scrolls , which is typical for some guns in this school. I'll probably make some silver nails for accents in the wire design as well, as was done on these guns. BTW the box is a pre made from TDC, wanted to save some time there. You'll notice the ugliness that popped out ahead of the box as I was shaping it down, gives it some character I guess. Has a Colerain B weight barrel in .50 smoothbore, siler lock, my castings from reeves castings of a Nierhardt gun. about a 13 1/4" pull and weighs about 7 3/8 lbs or so. Shoulders well, I don't think it will be a cheek slapper, but we'll see won't we? ;) Any and all comments are welcome and encouraged.
 I got about 1000 hours in this so far....yeah, that's the ticket, I got a 1000 hours in it already, I'll probably have to ask high 5 figures for it when it's done. With the wire I might have to go near 6 figures.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:02:40 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

n stephenson

Re: Lost in Lehigh Land
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 05:50:24 PM »
Oh Yeah!!! Looking real good so far!! Those aren't easy by any means. I have a hard time believing that , you got this far in only 1000hrs.  ;)  Should be a dandy!! Keep us posted.   Will you still talk to us peons , when you break 6 figures?  ???  Just had to ask ::)

Offline KC

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
I really like the architecture of Lehigh rifles. I think the one you're working on looks fantastic, "ugliness in front of the patch box" and all. It is a unique school of rifles, I didn't realize this until after I bought a Herman Rupp kit from MBS. Now I'm afraid to touch it until I learn quite a bit more about gun building so it remains boxed up. I like the carving you've done, it looks really clean and crisp, can't wait to see updates.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »
Carving looks terrific!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Algae

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 06:37:27 PM »
Can't wait to see this one finished, nice work!!

Al J.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 07:13:41 PM »
Hey Mike,
    I recently saw a fossilized roll of electrical tape found in the remnants of Herman Rupp's shop in Trexlertown.  I wouldn't have known that he was using it for patchbox openers until I saw your work, great PC touch....
All the best
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »
Hey Mike,
    I recently saw a fossilized roll of electrical tape found in the remnants of Herman Rupp's shop in Trexlertown.  I wouldn't have known that he was using it for patchbox openers until I saw your work, great PC touch....
All the best
Ron
Yeap, handy stuff. ;)  Some of the tape I have is so old it may have come from Rupp's shop.Once you drive the PB door latch lever in it makes it so the buttplate never comes off again.....or at least I can't figure out a way to do it, but I didn't graduate at the top of my class.. Once I get the BP polished out the tape will be gone.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 08:21:15 PM »
Nice carving Mike. Next one should be a even better. Tim

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 08:24:53 PM »
  Mike in The gunsmith of Greenville, Peter Alexander builds a  Lehigh.  Might be worth a look..!
  His dvds are very good !!  Might help get that six figures your after..! 
  Looking good so far.. The electrical tape just adds  more bling to it....!
    Oldtravler

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
  Mike in The gunsmith of Greenville, Peter Alexander builds a  Lehigh.  Might be worth a look..!
  His dvds are very good !! 
    Oldtravler
Like that will ever happen.  ;)

Offline PPatch

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »
$99.998, tops! Great job on the carving Mike, looks good and fits the era. She doesn't look like a cheek slapper, but what do I know about Lehigh's, about the sum total of zilch.

cheers, outward and onward.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 09:36:58 PM »
  His dvds are very good !! 
    Oldtravler
Like that will ever happen.  ;)
;D

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:47 PM »
Since I have gotten some inquiries, this particular gun is not for sale at this time. I don't have a ML at this time and this one looks like it will be fun to play with so it's MINE ;D. Besides, I'll have to set it aside soon and go back to making a living building other peoples guns!

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »
Mike, what kind of silver are you going to use for your wire inlay?
 Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 12:15:48 AM »
Mike, that's some very nice whittling.
Galations 2:20

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 12:23:47 AM »
Mike, what kind of silver are you going to use for your wire inlay?
 Bob

I'm using brass, it was pretty commonly used in this area as well as silver. In fact the UPS driver just dropped off the brass sheet I'm going to use, I didn't have anything the right thickness. I was going to cut some out of .032 and beat it out thinner but that seemed like too much work..... :P
 Got the big Lehigh star over the cheek piece now, in the middle of engraving it before I realized I was soaking wet from sweating....sure sign it's time to quit for the day!

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 02:50:05 AM »
Mike,
I love how you just whipped out a little Lehigh. 

The carving looks great!  Very Lehigh.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline heinz

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 05:44:58 AM »
I really like the composition of that carving.
kind regards, heinz

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 02:51:48 PM »
Very Nice Mikey.  Lehighs are complicated but then so are the English fowlers you build.  Can't wait to see it done.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ron Wehmeyer

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
Never built one of these before but I've studied on them for a while now. This one is a warm up for another I have planed. The main thing I have learned so far is how little I knew about this school, the architecture is incredibly complex. I am intrigued with this particular carving technique, incised with contoured parts below the main grade, very interesting. Getting ready to slap a Lehigh star on the cheek piece today. The box will be surrounded by thickish tapered brass wire in scrolls , which is typical for some guns in this school. I'll probably make some silver nails for accents in the wire design as well, as was done on these guns. BTW the box is a pre made from TDC, wanted to save some time there. You'll notice the ugliness that popped out ahead of the box as I was shaping it down, gives it some character I guess. Has a Colerain B weight barrel in .50 smoothbore, siler lock, my castings from reeves castings of a Nierhardt gun. about a 13 1/4" pull and weighs about 7 3/8 lbs or so. Shoulders well, I don't think it will be a cheek slapper, but we'll see won't we? ;) Any and all comments are welcome and encouraged.                                                           

I got about 1000 hours in this so far....yeah, that's the ticket, I got a 1000 hours in it already, I'll probably have to ask high 5 figures for it when it's done. With the wire I might have to go near 6 figures.

Trying to learn here , is that unevenness on the comb and perch belly look in the wrist supposed to be there ? Very nice work .,,,,Ron Wehmeyer .

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:17:03 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 03:54:04 PM »
Yes, the architecture is correct I believe, although the curvature on the top and bottom I took from some of the more severe of the original guns I have pictures of. Represents a later gun with that much curve. The earlier ones were much more straight top and bottom. These are also diamond shape through the wrist, on this one it can be felt better than seen. The wrist is also wider than high all things which you fellows familiar  with  Lehighs already knew long before I did.

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 08:51:28 PM »
I defer to Eric on the PB latch button as far as technique goes, but the way I did it was to put the lever through the BP first and then install the BP with the lever loose.  You can't remove the BP without removing the lever, and you can't install the lever with the BP in place.

1000 hours huh.  You must be an attorney!

n stephenson

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 02:43:28 AM »
Mike , As everyone has stated your smoothrifle is SUPER ! Your bench however, is as messy as mine  ??? . Well , maybe not quite as messy , but " well worked in" ;) .  I DO clean my shop too! but, I don`t like to let cleaning get too much in the way of work ;) ;D  . I envy those guys with the spotless shops  ::) , but I get over it as soon as I click on the next topic ::)!!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 02:46:11 AM »
Put in 13" of brass wire inlay scrolls around the box today in 5 hrs including lay out and putting in brass and silver nails on the end of the tendrils. 93* in the shop when I finally quit. Going fishing tomorrow!

As usual, I find brass wire much more difficult to do than sterling. Work hardens quick, usually at least two annealings per scroll to get it into the stock, has a lot to do with the tapered ends. Was working with .020, thinking a little thicker might have looked more like the originals, but it's in. Next up is outlining the forward finial and going up the wrist. Pictures to come. (tomorrow)

CLEANING THE BENCH! NOT LIKELY! Cuts into profits! ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:46:32 AM by Mike Brooks »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 04:21:14 AM »
The box release inletting should have enough slack and space in the slot under the bp to install it with the buttplate installed.  I just kind of lever/slide them on in by "hooking" it, kind of like getting a big piece of furniture through a narrower doorway.  I've never had one so tightly inlet that I couldnt get it in with the buttplate screwed in place; tight inletting here means swollen damp end grain is might bind up your box spring.  A large enough head on the spring should cover up a necessary sized slot.  The springy end driven into the wood is tapered and thin, and you can use either mildly carbon springy steel or you can even use plain low carbon and just work harden the $#@* out if it by drawing it out and tapering it.  Now just leave it like that while you're building the gun, so you can always hook a thin screwdriver blade under the head and pry it back out if necessary.  When everything is complete, gun finished etc., I pull it out and tightly clamp the tapered end in a vise with just a portion sticking up out of the jaws.  Take a really sharp, small cold chisel and raise up a couple of barbs on the very thin tapered end that will be in the wood.  Then drive it back in place, tapping carefully until you get it just where you want it.  Done, and it won't fall out.

Caveat, I have had the opportunity to take apart a couple of guns with this type of box/release, I mean completely take apart, and the box springs can practical be removed by pinching your fingernails and yanking.  They're not crazy permanently anchored in there; no other way to get off the buttplate and I sure wanted to see under some of those buttplates.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:24:23 AM by Eric Kettenburg »
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!