Author Topic: Lost in Lehigh Land NOW FOUND!  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Lost in Lehigh Land
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »
That's interesting, I figures once I drove that spring in that would be it. I have the spring already to go I just figured i'd have to wait a while to drive it in.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

n stephenson

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
The box release inletting should have enough slack and space in the slot under the bp to install it with the buttplate installed.  I just kind of lever/slide them on in by "hooking" it, kind of like getting a big piece of furniture through a narrower doorway.  I've never had one so tightly inlet that I couldnt get it in with the buttplate screwed in place; tight inletting here means swollen damp end grain is might bind up your box spring.  A large enough head on the spring should cover up a necessary sized slot.  The springy end driven into the wood is tapered and thin, and you can use either mildly carbon springy steel or you can even use plain low carbon and just work harden the $#@* out if it by drawing it out and tapering it.  Now just leave it like that while you're building the gun, so you can always hook a thin screwdriver blade under the head and pry it back out if necessary.  When everything is complete, gun finished etc., I pull it out and tightly clamp the tapered end in a vise with just a portion sticking up out of the jaws.  Take a really sharp, small cold chisel and raise up a couple of barbs on the very thin tapered end that will be in the wood.  Then drive it back in place, tapping carefully until you get it just where you want it.  Done, and it won't fall out.

Caveat, I have had the opportunity to take apart a couple of guns with this type of box/release, I mean completely take apart, and the box springs can practical be removed by pinching your fingernails and yanking.  They're not crazy permanently anchored in there; no other way to get off the buttplate and I sure wanted to see under some of those buttplates.
Eric, Thanks for explaining this. I have built a few with the spring /latch like this. I have never had the chance to see  an original . I incorrectly used a screw , to hold the spring in place  , because I was afraid once I drove the spring in , it was over! Thanks for your input. Nate

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »
I used a hot blade, smaller then the spring end, to burn a slot in the wood to receive the spring. I also barb the spring end.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 08:09:27 PM »
I've seen a few on different guns held in with little brads or nails and I definitely think Ive seen one or two with a screw but can't say for absolute certain - it's tough to remember all this stuff!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2018, 03:08:36 PM »
Looks like I might get some stain and finish on this little beastie today. Anybody want to learn how to draw file a Colerain barrel? I just want to do the pointing and somebody else do the drawing...... ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2018, 04:50:43 PM »
Holy cow that’s nice.  I’m using your tutorial and now have two fine reference pictures to go along.  Good pictures of that wrist are hard to come by.  I’m planning to have the first ever Mike Brooks inspired Lehigh. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »
Holy cow that’s nice.  I’m using your tutorial and now have two fine reference pictures to go along.  Good pictures of that wrist are hard to come by.  I’m planning to have the first ever Mike Brooks inspired Lehigh.
Well, you're looking at the only Brooks built Lehigh ever. I'd look to A. Martin for examples rather than my work. Either of the Erics would be excellent references as well.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 06:07:41 PM »
Here's some pics just before the stain.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2018, 08:15:13 PM »
Really nice, Mike!!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline sz

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 08:20:16 PM »
Excellent work Mike

Can't wait to see the finished rifle.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 08:50:17 PM »
 Fabulous!

Tim C.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 09:27:04 PM »
Agree with everyone. Special!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2018, 12:21:41 AM »
Thanks all. Sure looks different stained!

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2018, 02:25:11 AM »
I’ll bet it does, Mike  fine looking rifle.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline t.caster

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »
That's gonna be a real beauty, Mike! HEY, it already is. That Lehigh "star" inlay really makes it POP.
Tom C.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2018, 01:28:08 AM »
Looks like I might get some stain and finish on this little beastie today. Anybody want to learn how to draw file a Colerain barrel? I just want to do the pointing and somebody else do the drawing...... ;)
Out of sheer boredom, I figured out that a Colerain barrel can be draw filed one handed. It takes twice as long to do but can be done. Will see how sanding goes. I’ve got nothing else to do!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2018, 04:21:10 PM »
Out of sheer boredom, I figured out that a Colerain barrel can be draw filed one handed. It takes twice as long to do but can be done. Will see how sanding goes. I’ve got nothing else to do!!
Took me about 2 1/2 hours. This one was really bad, had to cross file first then draw file. Shoulders were really complaining but luckily no ill effects afterword. I cut the dovetails for the sights then bashed it up a bit before I hung it in the rust box. The bashing part was the fun part. ;D It occurred to me while I was laboring away that although Colerain barrels are cheaper they certainly aren't a "deal" in the end. There's almost $100 labor to file them out. :o
 I'd sure hate to do one of these one handed.  :P

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Lost in Lehigh Land NOW FOUND!
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 06:18:25 PM »
Ok, all done now. Lightly antiqued and mellowed. It has it's various warts but I think it came off well overall. Learned a whole lot on this one and could probably learn a whole lot more on the next one as well. This one was supposed to have a wood box when it was in the planning stage, things just got away from me a bit. Ended up at 7lbs and 4oz. Very comfortable to handle and it won't be a cheek slapper which was my main worry.
I have only 2800 hours in it......wait, I was confused :o....I actually have 75 hours in it which is pretty typical for me for a gun of this decoration level.

This gun will be at the CLA if you want to see/handle it in person.

Hold on a minute, forgot to resize my pics...... ::)
 Ok, got 'er done. As always all comments and questions are welcome.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:43:29 PM by Mike Brooks »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »
 Did I say "Fabulous"? Must be a better word.

Tim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2018, 06:53:26 PM »
Did I say "Fabulous"? Must be a better word.

Tim
Oh, I don't think I'd go quite that far. :P

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »
Well, no comments other than I like it, a lot!
We need a, "show us your Lehigh's", thread.
Robin
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2018, 07:20:23 PM »
How about "masterful"?   ;)   Very nice.  Love the colors, brass wire turned out great too.  Your Liberty Lady is a quiet gal... has no mouth (by design, I bet  ;D ) and big buggy E.T. eyes, but I like her!
Jerry

n stephenson

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2018, 07:24:01 PM »
Mike, Very Nicely Done!!  Someone is going to be thrilled with that one! I like the open front muzzle cap also . GOOD JOB!!!!   Nate

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »
Fine looking work, ’Mike. I look forward to seeing it and you at Lex. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2018, 08:00:15 PM »
That's a beautiful rifle.  Everything about it is nice.  Is the below info correct to see the rifle in person? 

Friday, August 17, 2018 Show opens at 8:00 am until 7:00 pm Saturday, August 18, 2018 Show opens at 8:00 am until 4:00 pm Members only (Non-members may join at the show for a prorated membership fee of $20.00.) Location Grand Ball Room Lexington Convention Center 400 West Vine Street Lexington, KY