Author Topic: Mule Deer Scouting  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Herb

Mule Deer Scouting
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:47:40 AM »
I drew another Diamond Mountain muzzleloader deer permit.  I will build a lighter rifle for this hunt, a 15/16 x 31" .54 H&H barrel, a Schillinger caplock, Bob Roller triggers, and a Pecatonica halfstock Hawken stock.  My great grandson Jaxston wants to help me build it, then I'll give it to him after the hunt.  Friend Carl took me scouting July 4 and here are photos of some of the 22 bucks we saw on this unit.  This is State of Utah land, and the heart of the rim area has been sold to a private landowner, but I found where I'll hunt on the remaining public land.

Herb

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Mule Deer Scouting
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 01:11:15 AM »
Wow!  What a great experience for your grandson.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Matthew1969

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 07:13:24 AM »
Best of luck to you! Looking forward to reading your hunting adventures.
Matthew

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 11:44:24 PM »
Herb im 25 yrs younger than you an I will say without a doubt you could walk, work, outshoot, an just plain ole anything me in the ground. I couldnt walk a 100 yrds in that country till I would be sucking wind. Your a muzzleloading hunters inspiration for sure. Good luck on your build an hunt  ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 03:23:52 AM »
Congrats to you Herb, good luck on the hunt. Sounds like the rifle will be a family heirloom for sure.

Offline Ron Wehmeyer

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 05:41:29 AM »
Good on Ya Herb, cant think of  better way to fully enjoy the hunt than to involve your Great Grandson  , something he will cherish the rest of his life . Good Luck on your journey . Ron Wehmeyer

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 10:56:12 PM »
VA is wanting to give me an electric chair.  If they would fit it with tracks, instead of wheels, I'd love to hunt country like that!  Right now, walking a quarter mile would do me in.
You have some outstanding country side there, and some right stout mulies!

Many thanks for sharing.

Craig
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Eric Johanen

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 11:53:19 PM »
I have used 2 of Mr. Schillinger's percussion locks and a number of his sights.  Best percussion locks I've ever seen and everything was made from tool steel and perfectly polished.  Beautiful parts for any fine rifle!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 01:40:10 AM »
Good hunting Herb!

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 08:49:36 PM »
Good luck and have fun!  I sure do miss mule deer, one of these years I need to get back out west after them...
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »
It's going to be hard not to bring home something nice based on the pictures.
Mark
Mark

Offline heelerau

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 01:39:05 AM »
Herb, I remember Neil and I putting up a fawn that had been planted in the gap west of his old cabin. Gave me heck of a start and I nearly stepped on it !!. It is really nice that your great grandson is keen to learn how to build a rifle with you. A marvellous opportunity to encourage this interest and hopefully ensure it passes on the the next generations.  Were the cattle in the background of one of the shots Black Angus?

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Herb

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 07:06:01 AM »
Hey, Gordon.  GGS Jaxston has joined me in some of our .22 shoots, and even in a blackpowder shoot.  He is 14 now and tall enough to shoot this new rifle we will build.  Yes, those cows are black angus.  Driving from Utah to Iowa and Wisconsin, all the cows I see are black angus.  They all have their noses in the grass, eating, and spread all over a field.  They are really eating machines.  Almost never do you see any of them bunched up or laying down.  I am lapping out a reject GRRW .50 caliber barrel, what a chore that is.  Will make that into another Carson Hawken for barter to my dentist.  Cheers.
Herb