Author Topic: Contemporary Ohio Halfstock Completed  (Read 8356 times)

Offline conquerordie

Re: Contemporary Ohio Halfstock Completed
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »
When you get to sight her in please let us know the results. That's a beautiful rifle! I was looking at a NY perch belly style of rifle for a future project. I've never shoot a thin, heavily curved buttplate in a rifle, so I'm curious as to the recoil.
Greg

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »
Really nice work Curtis!

I'm sure your son will love it!

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Online runastav

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 03:17:49 PM »
Very Nice rifle Curtis :)
Runar

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 03:52:31 AM »
Thanks fellers!! 

Greg, I will post the results when I get the chance to shoot it.  That may be a few weeks as I took it to my son this weekend and he wanted to keep it in hot hands for a while and show it to some of his buds.... he seemed to be pleased with his new toy!   ;D  I built one last summer with the same buttplate and it was comfortable to shoot, but it was a .40 so this one will have more recoil.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »
Fantastic detail, a real treasure for your son.

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
That is a superb Ohio halfstock. Congratulations! Your son will be proud to show others the rifle his father built for him.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 06:57:04 AM »
Well done all over. Especially like the "chickens".

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 06:44:09 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys!

.... Especially like the "chickens".
When I read that I laughed hard enough I almost choked on my bourbon!!  ;D ;D ;D

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »
Curtis, to those of us with experience in the Airborne, those are either “choking chickens” or “pukin’ buzzards”... :o. No matter what you call them, I think they look GREAT!

Greg
(Formerly of 101st Airborne Division)
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 04:10:05 PM »
I had my 'Rendezvous with Destiny' as well!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2018, 04:49:15 AM »
Hey Curtis -

Vey new to longrifles and flintlocks, so I am building a Herman Rupp ,45 flintlock.
I went through all five pages of you documenting your work.  Firstly, you are an outstanding craftsman.  Your ability, and your creativeness are fantastic.

Had to chuckle a few times, as you used soot to keep solder off.  I do the same thing with graphite from a #2 pencil.  Works for gold and silver soldering as well.

The silver bands and other inlays were truly beautiful, and you have inspired me to always strive to do my very best.

"Spike" is very useful!  I got a bunch of brand new RR spikes when I was living close to some tracks that were being replaced.  Made a couple knives, and use them to anchor rolls of plans.  And now you have given me even more uses.

Thanks - Craig
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 07:42:09 AM »
Craig, it is good hearing from you!  I have used graphite from pencils as well to prevent solder from sticking, but since the rod represented such a large area I got creative and gave the soot a try.  It actually worked quite well!

I couldn't have built the rifle without Spike!  8)  I'm glad to hear you are inspired by this build, such is the primary reason for my posting of such builds...  always remember, you can only improve if you push your limits, and learning how to fix a problem is a lesson that can be used on many things in the future - not to mention it's all part of the fun!

I gave the rifle to my son to enjoy and show his buds, then left on a three week trip.  Got back a while ago and retrieved the rifle from my son to start working up a load.  The first bit of shooting looks promising, I will try to post some photos of targets when the rifle gets zerod in.

Thanks for looking!
Curtis

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »
Great looking rifle and fantastic engraving.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline PPatch

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 01:38:32 AM »
Top notch Curtis! A fine looking firearm and I hope your son will treasure it. A very nice presentation too, i have thoroughly enjoyed following your build.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline BarryE

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 02:33:34 AM »
I hope the gun I am going to build for my son is remotely as good as that one.  Nice work.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 07:47:05 AM »
Thanks Barry and good luck to ya!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline RJD-VT

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »
Hi Curtis, I too really admire this rifle. I looked in almost everyday last winter  to watch the progress.
I was wondering if you got any good groups yet? Or has it been too hot to shoot? Its hot here so I can imagine what its like in MO. 8)

Bob D.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 06:57:18 AM »
Hi Bob - I got some pretty good groups (about 3/4 inch) with the rifle at 50 yards, and was able to ring my 100 yard gong with the same load.  In order to get the impact down to the bullseye I had to shoot a 60 grain load of 2f.  I gave the rifle to my son for a couple of months and just recently got it back.  I am going to make a taller front sight for the gun and see what I can do with a heavier charge.  Looks promising, and I will try to post the results when I get it finished and out to the range.  May wait for the weather to cool off a bit first!  It's been close to a hundred degrees here!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 03:40:11 PM »
An OUTSANDING example of an American muzzleloader.
Great job!

Bob Roller

CARROLLCO

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
Super nice heirloom. Your son should cherish this labor of love. Wonderful eagles and architecture. Great rifle!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2018, 06:40:18 PM »
Contemporary, yes indeed, but with a very traditional feel, honoring the makers of the past. A sort of 3-D historical novel, if I had to describe this gun.

Very nicely done. What a lovely gift, and heirloom, for your son.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2018, 07:55:16 AM »
Thanks guys, I most humbly appreciate all your comments!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson