Author Topic: Glen Mock hand forged knife for CLA  (Read 1713 times)

Offline heinz

Glen Mock hand forged knife for CLA
« on: July 14, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »

Glen Mock forged this fine knife, a stylish 6 inch bladed belt knife with a coin silver pummel cap setting off the antler handle for the 2018 CLA auction. 

This blade has an interesting long choil.  Glen’s forged blades are well known for their ruggedness and edge holding.  This blade and handle have an interesting architecture and the knife is extremely comfortable in the hand. This is a great user for the primitive camp or deer hunting and the high style and silver work really set it off.

Yours truly has contributed a simple belt sheath from vegetable tanned cowhide cut to compliment the lines of the knife.  Even the auction chairman has to contribute from time to time.  I am no Lally House but the deer blood will only make this sheath look better. This is a nice pairing made for years of service.

Both Glen and Heinz are regular auction supporters.  Their contact information is:

Glen Mock  mock@grm.net
Heinz Ahlers  heinzahlers@zoomtown.com

poems by Voltaire
kind regards, heinz

Online BOB HILL

Re: Glen Mock hand forged knife for CLA
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:23:01 PM »
Another fine set from two more fine gentlemen. This auction is becoming harder to decide what to bid on each day. Thanks everyone for your generosity.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 04:05:24 PM »
Well said Bob.  Well said. 

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 04:21:27 AM »
Is the auction web site up yet?

What is a "long choil"?

What is the little semi-circle cutout for?

I am looking forward to the auction.

Offline heinz

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 05:21:58 AM »
Martin, a choil is the section of the blade between the handle and the cutting edge.  It is where the blade width is wider than the handle and the choil helps protect the user from cutting his finger on the blade.  The semi-circle you noted is the termination of the choil on the blade, the other end of the choil is where the blade meets the handle.  The choil is unsharpened.  The long curve of the choil on this blade makes it very comfortable in the hand

I think the semi-circle is a decorative feature,  But I only made the sheath, maybe Glen knows a hidden use :-)

I am expecting the CLF auction site to be up any time now.  Fortunately for the ALR folks Tim Crosby talked me into posting here also so the ALR folk are ahead of the curve. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:30:57 AM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »
Thank you so much for the explanation.

I tried to look up choil on a dictionary website with no results.

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 07:13:18 PM »

First of all, that's a very fine knife!! I'll be glad to see what it brings. I'll be watching for it.

Heinz explained it very well. I typed in knife choil in my search box because I didn't really understand the term either.

It turned up 96000 results with explanations and some very fine examples of hundreds of styles.

Isn't technology great!

Big John
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Offline heinz

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:03:23 AM »

A much better photo compliments of David Wright
kind regards, heinz

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 12:37:41 AM »
Is a choil different than a ricoso(sp)? Hope I spelled that right.  ;D

Offline heinz

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 02:46:16 AM »
Smylee. A little different.  The ricasso id a thick section of the blade usually rectangular in cross section.   It is a carryover from the sword and usually appears on knives with a cross guard,  The choil is only on knives where the blade is wider than the handle. It can go down vertical, like on a French Chef's knife, or it can go out to the full blade width on a taper or a convex curve, like a typical butcher knife, or a concave curve, like on this knife.  The ricasso makes the back of the blade stronger, the choil helps to keep you from cutting your finger on the blade.  The little semi-circular notch at the end of the choil lets your finger know it is about to go too far.
kind regards, heinz

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 03:12:50 AM »
OK thanks for the explanation, and the spelling correction. I had thought they were in the same area and you made it clear for me to understand the difference and reason for being so. Best wishes.   :)