Author Topic: Is my flash hole too high?  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Justin

Re: Is my flash hole too high?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 07:46:36 PM »
Mine was like that and I was very worried about it. However, it shot fine. Jim Chambers also told me they have done extensive tests on touchhole locations and they said low, high, etc. makes very little difference. But that was for a Chambers Golden Era Lock -- as others mentioned, yours is different so maybe my advice isn't all that useful :)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 07:49:32 PM by Justin »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 09:24:57 PM »
That vent location is about identical to my fowler pictured on page 1.  Ignition is fast and consistent.

As well, as Bob R. & Tom noted, powder is ALWAYS at the vent & quite visibly in the vent hole.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:07:48 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bgf

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »
With that type of breech, I put a countersink in my drill press and slope the mouth, then file the edges round and polish  with sandpaper.  How much to "cone" depends on the bore size: I go up to a little short of the rifling, so there is a sealing seat.  The wall of the breech should be drilled through at tap drill size, maybe just a little smaller for the liner to seat, but definitely as big as possible.  I try to smoothe the inside shoulder of the passage hole as well as I can.  Have considered cross-drilling to enlarge/cone inside of flash hole, but never found it necessary.  All this is to get powder to fill chamber and flash passage, and I'm happy with results.  They work better than flat breech for me.

I doubt the flash hole position is the problem, more likely powder not getting close to hole.