Author Topic: What barrel length are sights useful  (Read 1170 times)

Offline elk killer

What barrel length are sights useful
« on: July 17, 2018, 02:23:04 PM »
At what barrel length do sights really benefit, see lots of short pistols with no sights
anything over 3 inches? 4 inches? 5 inches? of course is no set standard, and of course
the distance between rear and front sight makes a difference 
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: What barrel length are sights useful
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 04:24:40 PM »
At what barrel length do sights really benefit, see lots of short pistols with no sights
anything over 3 inches? 4 inches? 5 inches? of course is no set standard, and of course
the distance between rear and front sight makes a difference

Depends mostly on your ability to hold a pistol, the accuracy it is capable of, and how well defined the sights are.  I can't imagine going with zero--but would always use something even if very minimal. Sooner or later you want to pop a can or string or pumpkin with it.

With dirtyword dirtyword dirtyword I've won top prizes with 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 in bbls--but add the frame for site radius.   IOW, I don't think it takes much bbl if you're "working" targets within the inherent accuracy of the gun.  This competition was 50-feet, two hands, 5-shots for score.  Short-arms aren't a big struggle for me.  8)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:28:19 PM »
I used to teach my lads (corrections riot squad and perimeter security teams) to shoot instinctively out to 25 yards.

About all of them could hold 6 consecutive shots inside a 6" circle at that range with the gun held shoulder height, shooting

rapid fire, DA.

This would be much more difficult to learn with single shot pistols. I would of course, say it is a distance deal, not a

barrel length deal, given the "equalizer" of sufficiently accurate gun.  It has to put the ball where the barrel is pointing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:30:44 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »
The need for sights is predicated on the distance you plan to shoot at and the size of the target you intend to hit.  If you are carrying a derringer and plan on hitting a target 3 feet away they are of no use to you.  If you are carrying the same derringer and plan on shooting a target 15 yds. away then they may be beneficial to you.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Turtle

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »
 For instinctive shooting below eye level the grip shape and angle is everything. We did a lot of experimenting and modifying modern pistols for instinctive shooting. If grip shape and angle are correct hits just happen. If one made a bp pistol and left the grip unshaped and you shot it a lot and shaped it as you went,you would be surprised what you can hit.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 04:16:34 PM »
For instinctive shooting below eye level the grip shape and angle is everything. We did a lot of experimenting and modifying modern pistols for instinctive shooting. If grip shape and angle are correct hits just happen. If one made a bp pistol and left the grip unshaped and you shot it a lot and shaped it as you went,you would be surprised what you can hit.

Yes sir.  It's all feel without the eyes engaging the gun at all.  Good idea.  If I ever do a short one.
Hold to the Wind