Author Topic: Boone Centennial commemorative rifle  (Read 1995 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Boone Centennial commemorative rifle
« on: July 18, 2018, 12:55:06 AM »
I picked this up sometime last year, and it's nothing terribly special, but I did like that it has a bit of "provenance" by way of the small plaque describing it as commemorating the Centennial of the town of Boone, NC.

It's an early Pedersoli, and as far as I can tell, it has never been fired.   This one is marked #194 out of (supposedly) 250 total that were sold as part of the commemoration.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:05:41 PM by bones92 »
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Boone Centennial commemorative rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 03:51:36 AM »
Looks a lot like my Pedersoli "Kentucky".  Percussion .45 cal.  Quite an accurate rifle, my first three shots, at 100 yards, made a cloverleaf just touching the left side of the "X".  70 gr FFg, .445 ball with .10 patch.  I enjoy mine, and hope you enjoy yours.  Fun little rifle.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure that is Boone's original rifle, not a commemorative.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bones92

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure that is Boone's original rifle, not a commemorative.

Probably acquired during his brief and relatively unknown sojourn through Tuscany during the summer of 1766.

Offline bones92

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 06:38:24 PM »
Craig, it's one of those early style of reproductions that feel somewhat diminutive in the hands (compared to later Pedersoli rifles that are more 'full size', so to speak).

This would be a superb rifle for a youth or a lady who appreciates a bit lighter and more handy rifle.

The cheek rest is kind of funny to look at...I suppose they only had a vague notion of what to make when this was produced in 1972.   I'm fairly certain it may be unfired, though I would need to pull the nipple to really know.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:40:38 PM by bones92 »