Author Topic: Tool For Horn Carving  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Tool For Horn Carving
« on: July 20, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »
 Over in "Couple of primers scratched on,......." Aaronc shows the tool he used on the horns. Greg asked about it so I thought I would show one that I use. Next time you go to the dentist ask them if they have any old dental tools. Some of them have hooks or twisted ends just break them off and stone the shaft down to a point you can work with. I make one end a little fatter than the other to vary line thickness. They have a Rubber grip so they are a little more comfortable to hold.

Tim C.

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Tool For Horn Carving
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:42:29 PM »
Thanks Tim!  Great idea...I’ll be on the lookout!  I knew it looked familiar, just couldn’t place it. I’ve been using a carbide scribe set into a wooden handle, but it makes a little heavier line than I like.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline J Henry

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:50:59 PM »
  Dental tools beg to be repurposed,,they have just about any configuration you can think up. As the Oral Hyginest to see the book she orders out of.My O/H saves all her old worn tools for me,got a hand full,great for horn work to.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:07:29 AM »
Great Info.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 07:00:11 AM »
Here is an article by Tom Sterling and his conversion of Dental burs to engraving and miniature carving tools for Netsuke. 

http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?page_id=3160 

It is a little over kill for our uses, but I thought it might give some people of the people ideas for converting the burs for other uses.   

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »
Very cool Tim....I like it!!!!

Mitch

Offline msellers

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:01:34 PM »
The one I have been using is the replaceable carbide collet handles with a dremel tool engraving tip fitted into. Makes for a easy tool with variable sizes just by quick changing the tips out. I can't get the tiny dental drills from my dentist like my dad always did when I was a kid.