Author Topic: Colerain's Marshall barrel  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Bill Ebner

• Starting Member
Colerain's Marshall barrel
« on: July 21, 2018, 01:13:40 AM »
  How close is Colerain's Edward Marshall barrel to the original? Does it in any way represent the Rothenberg barrels, or should I have one made?

Thanks,

Bill Ebner

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Colerain's Marshall barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 02:30:59 AM »
The original barrel is bigger across the breech than any of the "Marshall" patterns.  Also the waist is not as gracefully transitioned imho but then nobody really wants to replicate that.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 07:55:18 AM »
I agree with Eric.  Several years back I made a Marshall for myself.  I used the barrel that is available from our barrel suppliers.  I had a set of prints taken from the original rifle, and it was a much bigger rifle than I wanted.  I thinned the stock down quite a bit vs the drawing of the original rifle, and I really liked the end result of the project.  It balanced out well and was lighter than the Hawken I had been shooting for years, and it was lethal to white tails.  Good luck on your project.  I ended up selling my rifle and ran across it a while back after not seeing it for years.  It has got me wanting to build another using a different lock this time. 
                                                                                                                       Roger Sells

Offline blienemann

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 07:58:27 AM »
Bill,

Like Eric says, notes from John Bivins in 1986 and details in new Moravian Gunmaking II book show the breech of the original barrel a little heavier, much of the taper about the same, the waist just slightly heavier and near same at muzzle.  Getz probably made the first "Marshall" barrel for kits, then the other makers followed those specs in order to sell barrels to fit precarved stocks.

No two of the old rifles are the same, even using the same stock pattern and mounts - and they certainly were not machining barrels in those days to match each other or a "kit".  Any barrel that finished up clean was put to use.  I think you can build a fine copy - or a similar rifle with the Colerain barrel, or any other close to it.  Not to take work away from custom makers.

I don't think it made sense then or now to try to copy a particular rifle to that level of detail.  The barrel, lock and buttplate pretty well determine the size and feel - each a little different.  Enjoy the building and focus on the feel and look.  Have fun and show us your work.  Bob

Offline Bill Ebner

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 04:34:26 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I have the Moravian Gunmaking Vol 2, which made me curious about that barrel. I am interested in early rifles and plan on a Bethlehem-Christians' Spring inspired piece.

Bill