Author Topic: Reaves Goehring  (Read 4838 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Reaves Goehring
« on: July 21, 2018, 09:10:16 PM »
    It is with great sadness we have learned that one of the legends of our industry passed away. Reaves Goehring  was one of the persons most responsible for the rebirth of  the building of American Longrifles. There isn't hardly a builder out there that hasn't used his castings.He was a wealth of knowledge as well and a kind and sharing person.His contribution can't be overstated and he will be missed.Prayers to his family and friends.RIP Reeves!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch Yates

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:11:17 PM by tallbear »

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Reaves Goehring
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:14:16 PM »
Never had the pleasure of meeting him but I have seen some of his castings which were top line stuff. Prayers for the family an may he rest in peace
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 09:53:06 PM »
I met Mr. Goebring the first time I went to Dixon’s in 88. I just used a trigger guard I bought from him then. He was a great gentleman to do business with and I’m sure will be missed by many. Our prayers go out for his family and loved ones.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 10:18:33 PM »
Reaves was a gentleman in every respect. I throughly enjoyed talking to him. May God's peace be with all that mourn his death.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johnny

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 10:55:57 PM »
Thank you for getting this out.  He was a pleasant a gentlemen as could be.  Very helpful in enumerable ways.  God Bless him and his family. 

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 11:23:26 PM »
Sorry to hear of Mr. Goehring passing. He did wonderful work for the muzzleloading community.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 11:56:03 PM »
I am very sorry to hear this. I never met Reaves face-to-face, but I did talk with him over the phone once or twice and he struck me as quite a pleasant gentlemen.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline AMartin

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 11:57:19 PM »
Aw shucks .. what a cantankerous ol man ... but man he had a heart of gold .

I met Reaves when I was still a teenager .. used many of his casting but once in a blue moon he would stop by the house and just visit .
I always enjoyed his company ..
His knowledge of Lancaster Co rifles was very interesting .. he will be missed .

God rest his soul and meeting with his Lena once again be joyous ..

Al

A picture from 2013 ....

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:57:23 AM by AMartin »

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 01:21:47 AM »
Very sad news.

Sending prayers for all his family and friends.

Hope his legacy will live on within this pastime.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 01:32:24 AM »
Another long timer now gone.I always made it a point to stop and talk with him at Friendship.
I bought some steel percussion hammers from him and may still have one I will use soon.
Our condolences and prayers for his family and he will be missed.

Bob Roller

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 01:39:09 AM »

I met Mr. Goehring at Friendship and always enjoyed talking with him at his booth.  He was a truly fine gentlemen and a wealth of knowledge on these old things we love.  He will indeed be missed.  Prayers for his family and friends.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 01:40:37 AM »
Sad news, indeed....., wonderful man.

Ed
Ed Wenger

n stephenson

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 02:11:52 AM »
I met him at Friendship as well. I had used his castings before I met him , but it was a real treat , to hear his take , on the individual parts and pieces , and the rifles / guns that they came from. A really nice man! and , a great asset to the sport. Peace to him and his family and friends .

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 02:21:27 AM »
Our prayers to his family. He will be missed by all who knew him.

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 02:57:59 AM »
My condolences to the family. 
I first met him in the 1960s, when the Baltimore Show was still downtown in the Fifth Regiment Armory, and I was in my early teens. He was always a gentleman to me, and would talk about longrifles for as long as I would listen.

Offline flehto

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 03:08:39 AM »
On a trip to PA my wife and I visited / w/ Reeves and he showed me his bbl and RR machinery and then drove us to Allen Martins and  whom I met for the first time and then back to his house. He showed me a couple of his Lancasters one of which was made by Gahagan. Spent the afternoon discussing MLers and then left.

To this day I still remember the visit and Reeves..... have used his castings for my Bucks County LRs  One of the nicest persons I've ever met......Fred

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 03:50:15 AM »
As stated here numerous times a true gentleman.  He was always pleasant and sure to share a conversation with a nobody like me, when I stopped by his table at Dixon's or Lewisburg.
Kunk

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 04:25:54 AM »
Reaves believed that a man's word was his bond.  Call him, place an order, and he'd ship it out.  "Just pay me if you like them, if not return them."  He'll be greatly missed.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 02:06:18 PM »
My sympathy to his family.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 03:53:30 PM »
Very sad, a gentleman with a wealth of knowledge another great loss to our fraternity

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline BJH

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »
A true gentleman, with a wealth of knowledge. We are diminished by his passing. A lesser known fact about Reaves, he was a Eagle Scout. My son and he had a long conversation at the Lewisburg show some years ago and it came out as Brian is also. He was kind enough to allow me to take patterns and pictures of his trade gun so could make a copy for myself. He will be missed. May God bless his family in their time of loss. BJH
BJH

Offline gusd

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 05:19:14 PM »
A very nice man, talked to him many times at Lewisburg & Dixons .
Will miss him.
Gus

Offline Jeff Stewart

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 09:56:42 PM »
A huge loss to the community, and a larger loss to those who knew him.  A true gentleman in the classic sense of the word.
Jeff

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 03:27:41 AM »
Knew I did not want to open this thread

More is now lost than do most of us realize

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 03:50:34 AM »
  Mr.Reeves was a character. Always the gentleman with a ton of knowledge that he was willing to share. He will be deeply missed by all of us.
Prayers go out to his family an friends. May he rest in peace.