Author Topic: Trade/Camp Mirror  (Read 1267 times)

Offline blackdave

• Starting Member
  • Young at Heart - My wife says "immature"
Trade/Camp Mirror
« on: July 21, 2018, 11:34:19 PM »
I threw together a little trade mirror today. It is based on an original held in the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska. The frame of the mirror is brass with a 3"x4 1/2" mirror. The mirror and brass are lightly aged because I like it that way and I did a half sunburst pattern around the hanger. It is hung with a braintan whang. As always, I appreciate the opportunity to share with the community. I remain your humble servant, Just Dave.

" If a man wants to carry a cat home by the tail, I say let him! He's going to be getting several times as much information as the man who hasn't tried it. And it isn't likely to ever become dim or doubtful, either! It isn't always easy to be eccentric, you know."   Mark Twain

Offline rollingb

Re: Trade/Camp Mirror
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 11:52:45 PM »
I like it.  :)
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 04:21:16 PM »
Neat!  Gotta have one...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline rollingb

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 06:15:11 AM »
I threw together a little trade mirror today. It is based on an original held in the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska. The frame of the mirror is brass with a 3"x4 1/2" mirror. The mirror and brass are lightly aged because I like it that way and I did a half sunburst pattern around the hanger. It is hung with a braintan whang. As always, I appreciate the opportunity to share with the community. I remain your humble servant, Just Dave.

Dave,.... did the original mirror in the Museum measure 3" x 4 1/2", or are those measurements a "close approximation"?

Thanks,
rollingb

Offline blackdave

• Starting Member
  • Young at Heart - My wife says "immature"
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 05:42:51 AM »
Best guess from about 3 feet away...... :(
" If a man wants to carry a cat home by the tail, I say let him! He's going to be getting several times as much information as the man who hasn't tried it. And it isn't likely to ever become dim or doubtful, either! It isn't always easy to be eccentric, you know."   Mark Twain

Offline rollingb

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 07:30:56 AM »
Best guess from about 3 feet away...... :(
Well, you did a nice job on the replica mirror you made.  :)

I think those trade mirrors are pretty cool,.... so now, I have 3 sheets of brass on order and I'll try my hand at making a few.  :)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 04:31:34 PM »
That's cool