Author Topic: Best place to sell a very fine long rifle ?  (Read 5301 times)

61Baker

Best place to sell a very fine long rifle ?
« on: July 22, 2018, 03:22:38 PM »
Came into a Don Henry Brown sporting rifle with all the goodies. (long range sights, mold)

On 98% condition, but something I'll never have time to use.

Looking for suggestions on the best venue to find a buyer who knows what it is and it's value. (NOT GunBroker !)

Thanks.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Best place to sell a very fine long rifle ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »
I had to look it up.

Don Brown of Washington, passed back in 2009.  Henry style rifle, is what I've got sorted out now.

I don't know where to sell it but here. But that's probably restricted to folks with more than a single post. You'll also want a dozen or two high-quality photographs to show the work and condition for best results. Pics of long guns are usually show best detail when in made in 1/3's or 1/4's, with all aspects shown- top/sides/bottom angles, in proper lighting.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:57:25 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 04:10:10 PM »
This site is a good place to sell a rifle. 

I also might be able to help you.

I am a long range shooter, and know all of the active long range shooters in the USA that shoots in competitions.  I also have 2 Don Brown rifles.  I have helped recently 3 people find a rifle that were looking for a good used one.

From what I have seen the market is fairly soft right now for a custom English sporting rifle like this one.  With a ramrod, your rifle is not considered a target rifle.  Does not mean that it can not be used for one, just a style issue.

Send me a private email if you like.  afleener@yahoo.com    Heck, if the price is right, I just might buy it since I do not have a rifle of this style.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 04:12:56 PM »
Just sell it to Daryl!  You know he wants it!  ;D

Here, or if a member of the CLA, there, or on one of the FaceBook groups. The guns for sale websites have a less focused audience.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:22:24 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »
Wouldn’t this fine rifle be considered a modern gun rather than an antique? Just wondering why it in the antique posts.

Hungry Horse

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 05:35:53 PM »
From what I have seen the market is fairly soft right now for a custom English sporting rifle like this one.  With a ramrod, your rifle is not considered a target rifle.  Does not mean that it can not be used for one, just a style issue.
Snapper is correct.  There are differences between Don's long range and sporting rifles.  One being the stock shaping and the lack of the Henry Schnabel of the LR rifle, the other being it has an octagonal barrel rather than a tapered oct/round barrel.  I also recall there is a difference in the barrel twist and this one may have a 1-22 rather than the 1-18 of the LR rifle.  The tang sight appears to be of the mid-range variety and I also note that it has scope blocks mounted on the barrel.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rtadams

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 07:51:59 PM »
7-22-18

61Baker,

If you decide to provide a private price for what you won't for the rifle, why not also post the same price. You may be surprised to find out others may also be interested, but not until a price is posted.

Best Regards,

Robert T Adams

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 08:50:21 PM »
7-22-18

61Baker,

If you decide to provide a private price for what you won't for the rifle, why not also post the same price. You may be surprised to find out others may also be interested, but not until a price is posted.

Best Regards,

Robert T Adams
I agree with Robert but he needs to read our rules on eligibility to use our free "For Sale" forum
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

61Baker

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 10:38:19 PM »
Yes, I read the rules. That's why I asked rather than listing it.

My research on his rifles tells me that they are very high quality like mine.

A few years ago I bought a Baker 61 flinter reproduction that was expensive. It has nowhere near the level of workmanship as this Brown rifle. But it did work well.

The bullet I designed for it (think 16 bore German boar slug performance)

Couple more of the .452. It also has a very long range tang site and apetuer front (not shown)

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 03:40:56 AM »
What a privilege to own a Don Brown - Alexander Henry rifle.  I still have the 1987 Muzzle Blast issue (very worn issue) that ran an extensive article on Don Brown's recreation of the Alexander Henry rifle.  Every photo of a Don Brown copy of the Henry rifle that I've ever seen is a flawless example of English craftsmanship from  a by-gone era.  Last month I ordered from England a copy of the Alexander Henry book by Donald Dallas (320 page large format) and there's a chapter on his early percussion rifles that is fantastic.  When I see a photo of Mr. Brown's work it's as if he had a time machine and was able to watch the production of those rifles in England and then duplicate them 120 years later.

When you posted that photo of the bull elk I thought 'that looks really familiar'.  Sure enough I had copied that photo of yours back in '08 & another one with your Baker rifle mounted across the elk anthers - very neat sir.  I'm sure if you offered the Henry rifle for sale on this forum it would be snapped up quickly as there have been many posting of folks building there own versions of that fine weapon.  Thanks for posting a couple of nice photos of your rifle! 
Mike

Offline Cossack

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 04:50:02 AM »
If you get the time, please make another post telling us/showing us about your Baker rifle!

Online Clowdis

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »
Finishing up one of these rifles now from parts that I got from the person that bought the business from Don. All very high quality stuff!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 11:55:06 PM »
It's NOT a modern gun but was far and away ahead of anything readily available in the USA***
in that time frame.I see scope blocks on this one and what appears to be a Marbles tang sight. It may be a round ball gun.
Possibly my lock but I don't know for sure. Other than Davis WHO is now making these locks?The Davis falls short on the
kind of quality associated with these rifles.Last week I finished one,a "4 pin" for Jud Brennan in Alaska and have another one
started but won't do anything with it until I get the right eye overhauled.

(edited to meet ALR rules)

I think Don Brown got several thousand $$ for one of these even with the $50 lock he used. I met him in Canada at an International
match held in Kitchener,Ontario in 1987 and offered him a proper lock (4 pin) for those guns and he turned them down but wanted one for
his own rifle.I thought that was an odd thing. The last three guns (kits)were sold by his wife (widow) to a man in Sweden who insisted on
my locks and the same thing with the German team captain in Canada.He spoke VERY little English but I still speak enough German to help
Don get the order for 3 kits with my locks.
I have no real idea as to what this rifle is worth but it should bring a decent sum from someone who appreciates these guns.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:21:59 AM by Dennis Glazener »

tabs

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 12:54:47 AM »
Don Brown got more than a "couple of thousand" for one of his completed rifles, at least in his later years. My order with him was the last rifle order he took (LR) and the second to last one finished before he passed away. I would talk to him at length on a fairly regularly basis during the last couple of years of his life. He was a very nice man, who truly loved his dogs. My understanding of it was that his daughter got the estate.

I kept the Don Brown and sold the original LR Rigby.. It went to a LR match shooter in Holland. What Don did can be considered to be an art form. His quality was superlative. It is hard to believe that Don has been gone for almost 10 years.  :(

61Baker

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »
Well, I have decided to move it down the road. I need to do more research to ascertain its true value.

Somewhere I have a big auction house catalog from several years ago that featured a bunch of his rifles along with prices realized.

There don't appear to be any for sale on the net right now.

61Baker

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »
Just was sent a plainer one that sold at RIA in 2015 for $3450 (not incl buyers premium)

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/65/108/brown-don-percussion

61Baker

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 05:52:02 PM »
Hmm, interest seems to have vanished.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 04:25:48 PM »
Hmm, interest seems to have vanished.

This class and type of rifle is for the most part,an alien idea and
not understood by many BP shooters who are used to patched round ball
rifles and ranges of WAY under 1000 yards.
For 11 years I owned and shot a really fine Whitworth semi military
long range .451 and in 2001 I started another .451 and finished it in
2003. I tested it and the Green Mountain barrel delivered all I could
ask. I used it in a 500 meter match against breech loaders and when
I showed it to those guys one of the said "We'll have to bring the targets
in closer if we let him use this gun". We shot at knock down silhouettes
and I got 4 out of 5 and the 5th was  partly hidden by a tree limb.
These rifles,be they fine antiques or superb repros and the Southern
iron mounted,plainer than a fence post long rifles define my personal
interest in muzzle loaders and I am at home with either one.
Credit for revival in the long range rifles in America must go to the late
Bill Roberts who lived in Alabama.Lynton McKenzie was a superb craftsman
and owner of a number of these fine match rifles got me interested in making
the locks that were suitable for these guns and loaned me a fine old lock made
by Stanton in England. This was in 1987 and I think I have made about 40 of
these and 7 smaller ones and again from an old one from a Whitworth boys rifle
and made by Stanton.I enjoyed the challenge of making these locks and have
one ready now for a man who is well known as a maker of fine rifles.

Bob Roller

61Baker

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
Interesting comments.

Lots of Yankee officers, found out the hard way, just what these rifles were capable of at long ranges.

Offline Kynoch

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 04:33:49 AM »
Congrats on such a fine rifle. I have two of Don's rifles in this style.  The first was built by him and is in .58 cal. The second is built from one of his kits in 16 bore (.66 cal). The later is my go to hunting rifle. I have a third rifle built by Don, but it's a .45 cal, flint, longrifle. I feel very fortunate to own any of these.  Congrats again, you'll find a buyer out there.

Offline snapper

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 05:02:15 AM »
61 baker

I gave you my email address and showed an interest in your rifle.  I never received an email

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »
61Baker,

I have removed your reply that stated where you have the gun listed for sale.

Per ALR rules:
"You may not use this forum to direct folks to your online Ebay, Gunbroker or similar website but you may list the same items here as a stand alone ad from which ALR members may purchase the item."

-Ron
ALR Moderator
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie