Author Topic: woodswalk  (Read 1309 times)

Offline T*O*F

woodswalk
« on: July 22, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »
Three of us braved the 90 degree temps and 80% humidity yesterday to shoot our woodswalk.  We had a couple of problems.  My powder horn kept clogging up about 5" from the spout.  It was packed solid and no powder would flow.  I had to cut a green twig and ream it loose, after which the powder flowed freely with no sign of any moisture.  This happened 3 times after about 5 shots.  I was using 2f Schuetzen.

Another guy had several misfires with a loaded rifle.  After trying 3 caps, we would remove the nipple and dribble some 4f into the flash channel, after which it would fire.  The only thing I noticed was that he ran out of caps, which had been CCI magnums and I gave him some regular CCI caps.  Evidently they didn't have enough flame to reach the powder.

As it was, we had trouble locating many of the targets because the undergrowth had sprung up to the point that it obscured them.  We had last shot the walk in May.  We shoot from one side of a ravine and the targets are on other side.  The brush in the ravine has grown to the point that it hides the target.  The property owner had the place selectively logged a couple of years ago and this was after we had set up the walk.  Opening up various areas has allowed the undergrowth to spring up.  I suppose now we'll have to wait until fall before we shoot again.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Old Salt

• All gave some. Some gave all
Re: woodswalk
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 08:55:50 PM »
As I do not know the age of the shooters this may not be of interest. If it were me I would see if I could get with the owner and see if we could clear some of the under brush. Just one mans opinion, for what is worth.

Old Salt
All gave some Some gave all

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:47 AM »
A lot of the targets on our trail are very close to the ground.  Every spring, prior to our annual rendezvous, we have to get in there with brush saws, and brave the musquitos.  Otherwise, our targets too would not be visible.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »
All our targets are metal hangers, either hung between trees or from a pair of 5' cedar posts with a cross brace at the top.  Each target is painted white and has a hunter orange dot on either upright.  There are 22 targets.  Half are across an east/west running ravine.  The other half are in the valley of a north/south ravine.  We have been shooting this walk for 10 or more years with no problems other than snipping some minor brush each year.  The N/S ravine has no undergrowth because it gets very little sun.  Since the logging, the E/W ravine has exploded with growth with broomstick to baseball bat sized saplings that have now grown above the rim of the ravine, because the last two years have been wet and warm.  We are all 55 to 73 years old and clearing the steep sides of the ravine is problematic and would be a monumental task.  However, from leaf drop in the fall to May, you can stand at the first station and see almost every one of the E/W targets as the orange dots stand out like a sore thumb.

We will probably have to resort to paper and novelty targets in the mown field on the other side of the property during the summer months.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »
Invite folks to a work party rondy. Pretty sure a bunch of old fellers could get it done.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 07:23:13 PM »
Dave, I hear ya about the average age of the guys who come out to work.  It's the same up here.  I like to think that strenuous activity keeps my young, but at the end of the day, I have to pay for it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 07:56:34 PM »
And for the next few days, normally, but it has to be done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »
I’m kinda surprised you guys don’t shoot all the saplings and such as part of your primitive matches. Just kidding. I will work for free transportation. Only partly crippled up.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 10:52:04 PM »
’m kinda surprised you guys don’t shoot all the saplings and such as part of your primitive matches.
Since we can't fully see the targets, we usually shoot thru the leaves and branches.  Last guy in the queue gets the best shot.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson