Author Topic: Identifying G. Goulcher long rifle, US stamped  (Read 3662 times)

Will Hylton

Identifying G. Goulcher long rifle, US stamped
« on: July 22, 2018, 09:05:00 PM »
Hello everyone, im new to this forum and still figuring out how to navigate it, so i would like to apologize if I am posting this on the wrong board.However, I have recently purchased a percussion rifle that I was hoping to become more educated on.

The action has pheasents and foliage engraved on it, as well as "G. Goulcher" circled by laurel leaves. The barrel is 42 inches long, octagonal, possibly 36-38 calibre, and is stamped US about 3 inches behind the rear sight. The stock is what i beleive is called a "half stock" with a brass buttplate and an aluminum plate capping off the forend just ahead of the rear sight. The stock is also stamped " US just in front of the trigger. The trigger is a two trigger set up, the rear trigger appearing more like a trigger on a modern rifle, while the front trigger is much more straight and thin with a small sphere at the end. The action as a whole appears to still be in working order.

As far as physical defects, i would say that the overall condition of the rifle is good/fair. It retains its ramrod, however there is a small crack in the rod towards the muzzle of the gun causing it to bend slightly. The brass buttplate is still solidly in place, however a seem has developed between its edges and the wood. The man i bought it from seems to also think that at some point someone may have clearcoated the action plate to make it appear more shiny, however I cannot tell if this is accurate.

One of my concerns is tampering with this rifle. A friend who does gunsmithing has told me that he could mend the crack on the rod, and i have also considered addressing the buttplate and action plate, however i also want to be mindful that this is a historic peice and i do not want to devalue this rifle. So recomendations on what to do/what not to do are appreciated.

Otherwise, i would love to know the history, value, and origins of this rifle. I will try to post some pictures of it to assist everyone, just let me know if there are any other views/ angles that you need, Thank you all!

Will Hylton

Re: Identifying G. Goulcher long rifle, US stamped
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:12:50 PM »
Other than minor dings expected from normal wear and tear, this is the only significantly worn portion of the rifle. A gunsmith recently told me that the gun is in firing condition, however for fear of damage and lack of knowledge on how to handle black powder, I doubt that I will ever fire it

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 09:45:01 PM »
I suspect this is a gun assembled from old parts during the late twentieth century.

Hungry Horse

Will Hylton

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 09:59:45 PM »
I suspect this is a gun assembled from old parts during the late twentieth century
  Hungry Horse

Could you elaborate as to why you think this is the case? Was this a common thing that happened at the time?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:49:35 AM »
The erosion on the barrel around the drum, doesn’t match the erosion on the lock and hammer face, for starters. The buttplate, and triggerguard are quite crude, and appear to be from another gun ( the extra screw hole in the triggerguard, leads me to this conclusion). The buttplate along with not fitting, appears to be attached with Phillips head screws.
 However the US stamp on the barrel is intriguing.

Hungry Horse

Will Hylton

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 01:02:54 AM »
The erosion on the barrel around the drum, doesn’t match the erosion on the lock and hammer face, for starters. The buttplate, and triggerguard are quite crude, and appear to be from another gun ( the extra screw hole in the triggerguard, leads me to this conclusion). The buttplate along with not fitting, appears to be attached with Phillips head screws.
 However the US stamp on the barrel is intriguing.

Hungry Horse

That makes sense, i was wondering about the screws on the trigger guard, but I would not have picked up on the erosion or the phillips screws. Thank you for letting me know!

I dont have too much invested in the gun, would you happen to know if there is still any market value for a gun like this?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 03:12:43 AM »
Have to agree with HH, a parts rifle. The barrel may have been salvaged from an old military piece as was the trigger guard. The lock is a standard back action used by many builders. Just to many discrepancies. Shootable or not it is a nice old gun.
Mark
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 05:06:03 PM by smokinbuck »
Mark

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »
It’s possible the barrel may have been from a government treaty gun. Military marked half stocks are kind of a rarity. The buttplate, and triggerguard, appear to be pure farmer built, and not part of the original gun. The triggers may be from the original gun, but the lock IMO is doubtful. This is the kind of guns that got cobbled together in the early rebirth of the muzzleloading sport, before new parts were available. Often the crudeness was kind of a statis symbol.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 12:49:16 AM »
I agree with all, it looks like an old parts gun, probably assembled for the exact reason Hungry Horse reckons. The U.S. marking on the barrel is interesting, I think it might have been added to the gun when it was put together.

Robert
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:12:56 AM by OldSouthRelics »