Author Topic: Cartridge casings as powder measures  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Cossack

Cartridge casings as powder measures
« on: July 24, 2018, 05:14:29 AM »
I was shooting my new .32 on Saturday, and my adjustable powder measure proved to be very wide and difficult to pour down the small bore of a .32. I did some experimenting and cleaned out some brass I had lying around. A .380 ACP case held about 10 grains and a .30 Carbine case was very close to 20 grains. both were easier to pour down the bore of my little rifle, and probably made for more consistent charges than the wide-mouthed powder measure that would always spill a little powder when pouring.

Has anyone else measured out how much powder is held by certain modern shell casings? Any thoughts or safety considerations regarding this method?

If this has already been covered in a past thread, I apologize and please send or post the link.

CARROLLCO

Re: Cartridge casings as powder measures
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 05:40:19 AM »
I’ve used a cut off 45/70 cartridge for a measure for my .50 caliber Lyman Great Plainsvrifle. I’ve cut them to different sizes by inserting a a dowel rod that fits and using a plumbers tubing cutter. I
measure by using a RCBS balance beam measure or TC adjustable brass measure to be exact. I knock out the primer and solder in a boughten or homemade “screw eye” to tie a lanyard to. I’ve used other brass cartridges also. Easy to cut to size.

Offline Cossack

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 05:46:19 AM »
I’ve used a cut off 45/70 cartridge for a measure for my .50 caliber Lyman Great Plainsvrifle. I’ve cut them to different sizes by inserting a a dowel rod that fits and using a plumbers tubing cutter. I
measure by using a RCBS balance beam measure or TC adjustable brass measure to be exact. I knock out the primer and solder in a boughten or homemade “screw eye” to tie a lanyard to. I’ve used other brass cartridges also. Easy to cut to size.

Good ideas - thanks for sharing. I think I've got a pipe cutter in the garage. The screw eye idea is a good one.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:10:55 PM »
I have locked this topic since it requires discussions regarding modern cartridges and our rules do not allow this. We wish to keep ALR focused on muzzle loading and associated accoutrements.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson