Author Topic: Shot pouch questions  (Read 1731 times)

Offline The Stumbler

• Starting Member
Shot pouch questions
« on: July 29, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
I am interested in opinions regarding the shot pouch pictured as far as age and origin. I would also appreciate any advice for treating the leather as it is dry. The pouch was purchased at a tag sale in up state NY. Thanking you in advance
The Stumbler.

Fowler610

Re: Shot pouch questions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:48:51 PM »
Interesting pouch.  Looks like it was stitched up inside-out with a welt, then turned right side out through the the neck. The spout was inserted and then it was stitched up.  Might have had problems with the spout falling in to the pouch--looks like a staple in the base of the spout?  All the extra wrapping looks like a field repair. I wouldn't try to resurrect this antique, but it does make for an interesting pattern if one were to recreate it.  Nice find.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 05:04:59 PM »
Not sure how people date these things as homemade items like this do not necessarily change much over time. Could be as late as 1860, or much earlier. A great find, as survival rates for leather goods is low.
Andover, Vermont

Offline The Stumbler

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 02:51:54 AM »
Interesting pouch.  Looks like it was stitched up inside-out with a welt, then turned right side out through the the neck. The spout was inserted and then it was stitched up.  Might have had problems with the spout falling in to the pouch--looks like a staple in the base of the spout?  All the extra wrapping looks like a field repair. I wouldn't try to resurrect this antique, but it does make for an interesting pattern if one were to recreate it.  Nice find.
Thanks for your response, What you are referring to as a staple is actually part of the spout itself. The spout is metal(Leather wrapped) with a protruding collar at its base where it meets the beginning(top) of the pouch.What looks like a staple is part of the metal collar exposed do to the leather wearing out in that area. 

Offline The Stumbler

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 02:56:27 AM »
Not sure how people date these things as homemade items like this do not necessarily change much over time. Could be as late as 1860, or much earlier. A great find, as survival rates for leather goods is low.

Would you have any ideas as far as a leather treatment to help preserve the pouch ?

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 03:43:37 AM »
Neatsfoot oil works for me /Ed

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 02:09:37 AM »
When I look at the shape of the neck thru the leather wrap, it kind a' reminds me of a candle stick holder..........what do you think????.............sonny

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »
I would also appreciate any advice for treating the leather as it is dry.

I suggest Pecard Leather Dressing.

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 08:58:39 PM »
Very nice old pouch.  If you aren't familiar with it, the book Gettin' the Lead Out by Karl Smith is a wonderful study of these type of shot pouches.  I highly recommend it for anyone with an interest in these. 
Jerry

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »
Pecards...I've heard mixed reviews.  If you're not trying to use this piece in some way (for anything other than admiring and possible for a pattern), I'd just leave it as-is.  Putting any kind of leather treatment on it will only darken it and probably not do much for preservation.  In fact, it would almost certainly do more harm than good.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 11:48:25 PM »
I use Skidmore's leather products on antique leather with great results.  Don't eat it. 

Offline The Stumbler

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 02:41:59 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. At some point a wine cork was used for a plug ( right word ?) I have removed it and am including interior pictures of the spout. It appears to be tin soldered at a seam , two 1/8” holes at the top are opposite one another.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 03:14:28 AM »
Not much can be done to restore leather like that, but you can minimize the future damage.  Leather New is a glycerin and saddle soap project that feeds the leather and doesn't darken much.  I tiny bit of neatsfoot oil might feed the leather, but it will darken it too.  That is some seriously dried out looking leather.