Author Topic: Silver Pin  (Read 1213 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Silver Pin
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:23:23 AM »
Had orders for several of these lately, both as charms and as pins.  Sterling silver.  Fun to make.....

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline webradbury

Re: Silver Pin
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »
That is very cool! I’d love to have one as a charm.

I have heard that silver is difficult to cast because it absorbs a good deal of oxygen when poured. Was wondering if that is true.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 10:28:46 PM »
Webradbury,

Unlike gold, silver does absorb a fair amount of oxygen if kept at its liquidus temperature too long and exposed to air.  However, in centrifugal casting, the silver is melted with a reducing torch flame (not much free oxygen) and is cast as soon as it gets to the correct temperature.  So most of any oxygen that is expelled as the metal solidifies, shows up in the button and not in the cast part.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 11:08:13 PM »
Nice work on a very cool accessory.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 05:14:53 AM »
I make things like this, even though they are obviously not historically correct, just to try to get others, especially younger people, interested in building and shooting muzzle loading firearms.  I make guns, knives, horns, other accouterments but I also make flintlock jewelry, money clips, watch fobs, etc....I give away a lot of things like this, especially between April 19th (Lexington and Concord) and the 4th of July, just to try to spark some interest in those who have no idea about these types of arms. 

Everything we became along the way and everything we are now as free Americans started with a flintlock on Lexington Green.  I like the look of a flint cock...it looks like freedom to me.   ;)
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline aaronc

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 05:28:52 AM »
Historically correct or not it sounds like you are putting them to good use. I've not really played with any metals as of yet. Silver and pewter are on my to do list though.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.