Author Topic: Decorated Clay Pipe  (Read 1250 times)

Offline blackdave

• Starting Member
  • Young at Heart - My wife says "immature"
Decorated Clay Pipe
« on: July 31, 2018, 06:48:10 PM »
While looking through back posts of a well known page that features contemporary artists doing traditional work based on historical examples, I came across the work of Ra Sharek Gadd having decorated a couple of clay pipes. Doing a little background research, it would appear that early pipes were decorated first by sailors based on tattoo patterns they saw on Pacific voyages and later explorers drew patterns based on Native peoples geometric patterns on pottery. I made an attempt to duplicate an effort. As always, I appreciate the opportunity to share with the community. I remain your humble servant, Just Dave.

" If a man wants to carry a cat home by the tail, I say let him! He's going to be getting several times as much information as the man who hasn't tried it. And it isn't likely to ever become dim or doubtful, either! It isn't always easy to be eccentric, you know."   Mark Twain

Offline rollingb

Re: Decorated Clay Pipe
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »
Interesting.  :)
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:50:21 PM »
Just Dave, that is beautiful and striking work!  Almost makes me wish I was still a pipe smoker!
Thanks for showing it to us, and for the history of decorating things.  Truly looks Samoan.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 12:53:59 AM »
Dave,
Is your artwork fired in a kiln or just drawn on with a magic marker?  Just curious.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline aaronc

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 02:17:40 AM »
Love the old pipes,,...thanks for posting.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »
He used a sharpie marker. You can see the purple-black reflection of the sharpie color in one of the pictures.
Galations 2:20

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
If decorated in authentic 18th C scrimshaw scratching and ink pigment, it would be pretty neat... But I doubt the inking would survive the usual cleaning method of clay pipes-- putting them in a fire til they glow red? Not sure about that though.

K

Galations 2:20

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 08:28:21 PM »
The reason I asked is because he could very well have painted it on with ceramic media as used to decorate pottery and then fired it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson