Author Topic: Hard to load  (Read 6558 times)

JB

Hard to load
« on: August 01, 2018, 05:21:53 PM »
My Flint lock loads pretty hard.  See attached video.  I'm using .490 balls that I cast.  .15 patch material with bore butter.  Is the lube wrong?  Should I be using something else.  I want to cut patches at the barrel - as I find that more enjoyable.  The pre cut patches I buy with bore butter on them already loads easier, but I per prefer not to use them..

It is even very hard to push the ball down with the ram rod.  Easier to use the Steel Range rod that I have.  I'd like to do a woods walk some day, but I don't think I can do that with my current set up..

any thoughts?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 05:22:42 PM by JB »

Offline L. Akers

Re: Hard to load
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
Right off, your patch material is too thick by about a factor of ten!  Seriously, it's hard to give advice about your load without knowing the actual, measured bore diameter (land-to-land) of your barrel.  Have you miked your balls or are you assuming they are .490 because that is what the mould is marked?  Your lube may be a problem.  I know my rifles load harder with a "grease-type" lube.  Try spit and see what that does for you.  Another lube I like is neatsfoot oil.  Experimenting with the various components is part of the fun of muzzleloading.

Offline Semisane

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »
Go to a fabric store and buy a half yard of Pocket Drill. It's sturdy stuff and thinner than that pillow tick you're using.
My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »
Judging by how hard you have to pound the ball down that is an overly tight patch/ball combination. Tight, a firm fit, is good, but it should not be that difficult to get the ball started, just a tap to start then shove that ball home. You should be able to do it with the ramrod that came on the gun, just as you'll need to do on a woods walk. I would begin by experimenting with a thinner patch material, if that is no improvement then a smaller ball with the same patch material you are using. As L. Akers mentioned, when target shooting, try plain ol spit as a lube, it is all I ever use.

Also, welcome to ALR!

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
Your load is not too tight, your patches not too thick.
Change to a liquid lube.  Any variation of Moose Milk. 
Ball is loading easily with the short starter.  From that point on, it's just putting the hall on the powder.
Unless your bore is really rough, with the proper lube, it should slide down easily to the powder charge.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »
Yes, everything needs working with.  When you add up the manufacturing tolerances of the balls (or moulds if making your own), the bore and rifling, and the variations of fabric fibers/weaves/etc, AND the plethora of lubes available (if you do non-traditional)

Then you see why "X ball with Z patch in Y bore" doesn't always (rarely does) add up to the same fitment. This is the first thing to work out- Fitment of the ball and patch combo in -your- bore.

Then you can work out the details of which lube you like best, and then work out the powder charges for best performance.

It's a process.  An enjoyable and rewarding process that may take several range sessions to work out.

I suspect that you forgot a zero in your patch material specification of the OP.  Personally I prefer a thicker patch to a thinner patch and will vary the ball size down to make that happen rather than use a too-thin patch.  Thicker patching carries more lube and does a better job of wiping down crud from the last shot. If it's too loose, it will lead to progressively harder loadings-so there's a fine line to walk.  Enjoy the process.  There's a billion words here at ALR on the subject, maybe two.

Patches should be re-usable when retrieved (but they taste like all *&^% when you spit lube 'em the second time  :o)

I use a ball starter, some don't.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:04:09 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

JB

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »
Right off, your patch material is too thick by about a factor of ten!  Seriously, it's hard to give advice about your load without knowing the actual, measured bore diameter (land-to-land) of your barrel.  Have you miked your balls or are you assuming they are .490 because that is what the mould is marked?  Your lube may be a problem.  I know my rifles load harder with a "grease-type" lube.  Try spit and see what that does for you.  Another lube I like is neatsfoot oil.  Experimenting with the various components is part of the fun of muzzleloading.
Sorry, Its .015.  My mold is marked .490. 

JB

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »
Go to a fabric store and buy a half yard of Pocket Drill. It's sturdy stuff and thinner than that pillow tick you're using.

Thanks you.

JB

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 07:16:31 PM »
Your load is not too tight, your patches not too thick.
Change to a liquid lube.  Any variation of Moose Milk. 
Ball is loading easily with the short starter.  From that point on, it's just putting the hall on the powder.
Unless your bore is really rough, with the proper lube, it should slide down easily to the powder charge.
Thank you. I'll buy some moose milk.  So when I use the moose milk?  I just soak them - let them dry and then use as needed? Or what is the process.?

My Bore is still like new. 

Thank you.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 07:37:49 PM »
I agree with small patch to a different lube, smooth your crown a little, sharpen your knife and run a damp cleaning patch down after each shot to see if you have a lot of fouling. Most times a tight load combo will shoot cleaner in my experience. Get your patches wet with liquid lube.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:01:44 PM by smylee grouch »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 09:41:22 PM »
I also agree with Smallpatch, go to a liquid lube or spit patch. I personally like Mr Flintlock. The other thing to remember is to wash your patch material at least twice before using it. It comes loaded with starch and other things. Washing will make it a lot softer and absorb lube better.
Mark
Mark

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »
Some barrels are just easier to load than others. My GRRW barrel is the easiest I’ve ever had, slightly choked, tighter at the muzzle.  Once I’m a foot or two in with the ball, it goes very easy.  My other barrels (Getz, Sharon, Green Mountain) require consistent pressure all the way.

I, like others, doubt your loss is too tight.  I used to think that way but got converted by Daryl.  If it’s not tight enough, and the patch is not carrying enough lube, then you are not cleaning the bore with each subsequent loading and fouling just gets worse and worse. 

What do your fired patches look like?
Andover, Vermont

JB

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »
Thanks guys.  You gave me a lot to think about.  I'm going to try a different lube.  I'm sure my patch was too dry. I know that I didn't have a lot of that bore butter on it.  I"m going to pick up some neatsfoot oil to try.  I can buy that a 1/2 a mile down the road.  I"ll also order some moose milk too.

Thanks for all the advise. 

JB

Offline trentOH

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 02:03:32 AM »
Since you are casting your own balls, are you using pure lead? Impure lead creates harder balls, and they can be harder to load.  My experience with thick lubes, especially Bore Butter, is that it is substantially harder to load.

Offline Semisane

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 02:25:41 AM »
"My experience with thick lubes, especially Bore Butter, is that it is substantially harder to load."

That's been my experience also. Plain old olive oil is far superior to Bore Butter.

I'd tell you what I use for patch lube, but you would call me insane.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 02:27:06 AM by Semisane »

JB

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 02:48:59 AM »
Since you are casting your own balls, are you using pure lead? Impure lead creates harder balls, and they can be harder to load.  My experience with thick lubes, especially Bore Butter, is that it is substantially harder to load.
Thank you.. Pure lead. 

JB

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 02:50:32 AM »
"My experience with thick lubes, especially Bore Butter, is that it is substantially harder to load."

That's been my experience also. Plain old olive oil is far superior to Bore Butter.

Thank you.  I bought some Neatsfoot and some olive oil today.  I look forward to trying it.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 03:07:22 AM »

Probably Liquid Wrench or something along those lines.  Insane?  Probably not.  Semisane?  Perhaps.  ;D

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 03:09:01 AM »
With a tight fitting ball and patch combo, and a liquid lube, it should load easily, and not need cleaning between shots.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 03:14:31 AM »
I was planning on going shooting tomorrow, so of course I read this thread.

I didn't know you had to wash you patch material even once, much less twice.

Time to start a load of wash...

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 03:25:31 AM »
Again I agree with smallpatch, the only reason to run a clean patch down would be to see how much fouling you have and if you have a lot of fouling then you can change lube,patch material, or ball size.,

Offline EC121

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 03:39:39 AM »
I was planning on going shooting tomorrow, so of course I read this thread.

I didn't know you had to wash you patch material even once, much less twice.

Time to start a load of wash...

Most material has a sizing in it that is from the manufacturing process.  It needs to be washed out to let the material fluff up and take the lube.
Brice Stultz

Offline Semisane

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 05:22:26 AM »

Probably Liquid Wrench or something along those lines.  Insane?  Probably not.  Semisane?  Perhaps.  ;D

OH THE HORROR!    ;)

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »
I cut my patches at home from cotton fabric I buy by the yard.  Just bring a micrometer when you shop. 

I recently tried a looser combo because of tendonitis in my wrist.  I put several patches in my mouth and held them there like leaf tobacco.  When  I needed one, ane well soaked patch was dispensed.  It was my most accurate load ever with the rifle.  No need to swab at all.  I loaded very easy. 

Don't dismiss good old spit.

I have not found that the tightest combos are always the most accurate. 

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 10:22:44 AM »
My favorite easy loading lube is Original formula LeHigh Valley. I had a .40 barrel that was almost impossible to load the 2nd or 3rd shot and the LHV really got that barrel loading slick. You could also try Canola oil, I've been using it a little and so far really like it.
When they say to run a clean patch down the barrel I don't think they mean a clean, DRY, patch. Rather one soaked with spit or water. A dry patch usually gets stuck down the bore.
American horses of Arabian descent.