Author Topic: Running deer event  (Read 5141 times)

erdillonjr

Running deer event
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »
The Garage Rats now have a running deer event at thier black powder only shoots this year. They shoot the last sunday of the month. Ed

Daryl

Re: Running deer event
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »
Running deer would be a blast.

We have a flying goose that's a challenge, but a deer, moose, elk or bear would be fun.

How about a charging bear like they use for training Conservation (game wardens) and Forestry (forest cops) officers? The bear could start out about 50 yards and have to be plunked before it hit the stops at 20 yards.

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
That sounds like a real hoot. I have shot running rabbits with a flint rifle, and running boar with a longbow. IMHO, shooting any moving target is a real challenge.

I once shot a woodswalk that had a running target that ran behind a tree. The target triggered another target that ran UP the tree. Both targets were running pretty fast, and they were a surprise. The ground target appeared out of nowhere, only to disappear in about 20 feet, while the climbing target only traveled about 15 feet, straight up. Few people had the presence of mind to even get off a shot. Even fewer scored a hit, on either target.  :-[

erdillonjr,
Where might these garage rats and running deer be located?

Offline acorn20

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »
Back in the late 70's I fashioned a running deer target for our muzzleloading club on Two Tops Mountain in Southern Franklin County, PA.  I'm a pretty fair artist and drew a running buck on multiple layers of cardboard.  I fastened the cutout on a rod suspended between two 6 inch pulley wheels.  The target was going to run left to right on a 1/4" rope that was suspended across the range at about 50 yards.  We placed two NO TRESPASSING signs on the left and right.  Mason cord was attached to the rear of the tarket and fed back through eyelets to the shooting line where it was wrapped on a wooden reel for the purpose of resetting the target.  You had to shoot the deer between the NO TRESPASSING signs and man what a hoot.  The fellows couldn't believe how much you had to "lead" the deer to shoot it in the vitals.  Everyone who aimed at the vitals usually ended up shooting it through the gutts or hind quarters.  It was a good lesson for those of us who hunt deer with muzzleloaders.
Dan
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:33:34 PM by acorn20 »
Dan Akers

bs2

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 11:05:11 PM »
The local Sportsman club has a running deer shoot, two shots at about 40yds..........you have about 20yds from start to stop.................I used my Kodiak double 50 with PRB and out shot most of them with there scoped modern rifles..........lost one out of six, rounds................they talked about me for years.....an old muzzleloader out shootin the modern boys.......................the deer travels as fast as a tired boy can run......

Great fun.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 04:34:42 PM »
................the deer travels as fast as a tired boy can run......

Great fun.

Love that!

rdillon

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »
That sounds like a real hoot. I have shot running rabbits with a flint rifle, and running boar with a longbow. IMHO, shooting any moving target is a real challenge.

I once shot a woodswalk that had a running target that ran behind a tree. The target triggered another target that ran UP the tree. Both targets were running pretty fast, and they were a surprise. The ground target appeared out of nowhere, only to disappear in about 20 feet, while the climbing target only traveled about 15 feet, straight up. Few people had the presence of mind to even get off a shot. Even fewer scored a hit, on either target.  :-[

erdillonjr,
Where might these garage rats and running deer be located?

They are located in Brodheadsville, Pa right near the Chestnut Hill Dinner.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:28:39 PM by RDillon »

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:52:58 PM »
Dang, that is a far piece from the St. Louis area. If y'all were within coupla hours drive, I probably would be there. However, Pa is more than a coupla hours drive.  :'(

billd

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 12:35:18 AM »
Ed or Rich,   
Is that the diner I met you at a few weeks ago to buy the .36 caliber barrel? If not, where is it from where I met you?
Thanks,
Bill

rdillon

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:17:03 PM »
Ed or Rich,   
Is that the diner I met you at a few weeks ago to buy the .36 caliber barrel? If not, where is it from where I met you?
Thanks,
Bill

It's down rt115 about 10 Min from the Diner my dad met you at.  If you wanna shoot there we can meet up and I will be glad to show you.

northmn

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 03:20:18 PM »
Club I was in set up a running deer shoot on pulleys suspended by wire.  All of the above was true about hits in the back.  One individual managed to hit the wire it was suspended on square enough to cut the wire.  Kind of slowed down the vent for a while.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 04:04:52 PM »
I know what you mean, DP - then there are those of us who aim at clevis pins and screws with their high velocity .40's and cut them off to drop the targets vertically and make them harder to hit. ;D  Of course, having the Voluptuous B---h back in my hands, I can rely upon brute force to 'play' with the targets. She's death on thin steel plates - makes cups out of them.