Author Topic: Question about dyeing leather  (Read 979 times)

leoparddog

Question about dyeing leather
« on: August 03, 2018, 06:37:34 PM »
Do you dye the leather before or after you have assembled your bag or pouch?  I have a double shoulder of veg tanned leather here at the house and have cut out my pieces for my first pouch but haven't started sewing it together yet.  Do I dye it now or wait until I'm done?

I'm thinking about using black walnut hulls for dye if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Offline Frank Barker

Re: Question about dyeing leather
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 07:24:17 PM »
You can do it either way, if you want it the same color over all dye it before you put it together. If you want to "antique" it wait til you get it together and you can shadow dye it. Don't forget to wear rubber gloves when you do this process.
Regards
Frank Barker

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 07:28:36 PM »
I dye before sewing. I think edges and details carry a lot of the look of a project. I am not able to control these details by dye work after sewing. I am a novice though, so take it for what it is worth.  God Bless, Marc

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »
If you dye after construction you are going to dye your thread and leather. This gives off an unmistakable fantasy aged look comparable to a cloroxed gun barrel. Dye the leather prior to construction. If you want your thread a certain color then dye that prior as well. JMO only

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 03:00:56 AM »
If I'm doing an insert in the flap,I'll dye that before hand. I like dying after so the threads don't stick out as much,ascetically. I use restoration wax on the thread afterwards. The beeswax in it is processed to make it ph neutral.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!