Author Topic: Ferguson lock attachment  (Read 1404 times)

Offline conquerordie

Ferguson lock attachment
« on: August 04, 2018, 11:36:01 PM »
So I see that the lock has one screw that threads into the breech of the barrel. I can do that. What I am scratching my head about is while looking a DeWitt Bailey's British Military Flint lock Rifles, it appears that the front of the lockplate is held in the mortise with a hook as seen on some English guns. The lock from the rifle shop doesn't have this provision. Am I seeing things that aren't there in the original? Has anyone who has built this gun done this? Do I even need it? If the original rifle had it, I would like to add it. Any guidance would be apprecieated. Thanks,
Greg

Offline Clint

Re: Ferguson lock attachment
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 12:36:28 AM »
conquerordie,
I put a Probin lock from the rifle shop together and there was a shadow of the hook on the inside of the plate. I added a hook through a small square hole towards the rear of the shadow.
Clint Wright

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 01:05:26 AM »
Hi Greg,
I believe it is a stud with a hook.  I don't know if the Morristown gun is the same way but I will be finding out next time I am south because I am going to arrange an examination of that gun with the museum staff.  Regardless, you don't need it if your inletting is good.  My Ferguson lock fits tight and secure against the barrel with just the screw threaded into the breech.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 01:38:11 AM »
Sounds good. This lock was assembled by TRS so the inside was polished. Not sure if a ghost mark of the hook was present. The lock is tight so I don't need it I guess, but if it's on the original I should attempt it. I've been searching the site for ideas on how to make this hook. Wanna say Mike Brooks did a rifle with one. Used a screw in the lockplate inlet to give the hook something to grab. Just can't find it right now. Either way I appreciate the helps guys,
Greg

Offline helwood

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 05:23:53 AM »
Here's  the skinny.  Private conversation with Jess.  The original Fergusons were made with a hook at forward position,  but he said he wasn't able to get it to cast so he made it without it.  If you check out the history of "Ferguson models" made for the East India Company by Egg, he didn't try to make it with a hook.  Egg used a forward lock nail/Screw on all he made.  Note,   Egg made more Ferguson models than Ferguson. 
             Later, Hank

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 01:09:16 AM »
Hank,
Thank you for sharing that conversation.  Being a ordinance rifle that I'm recreating sounds like the hook is the right way to go.  Still debating to add or forgo. Thanks,
Greg

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 01:22:15 AM »
Hi Greg,
A hook is not needed as long as your inletting is good but it certainly won't hurt. An easy way to make one is to use a 10-32 bolt.  Drill and tap the plate where the hook goes.  Countersink the screw hole on the outside of the plate. Screw in the bolt and cut it off about 3/16 above the inside of the lock plate.  Peen over the end of the bolt so it fills the countersink and file flush. File a shallow hook in the bolt and square the bolt if you want.  It does not need to be squared.  Insert a #6 1/2" long wood screw into the lock mortice such that an edge of the screw head catches the hook. I make the hook so that the notch in the post is shaped like a knife blade.  That helps pull the lock in tighter as you push it into the screw stud in the lock mortice. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 01:37:18 AM »
Dave,
Thank you for the instructions! Man I was going off way in left field in what I was creating in my mind for the hook. I was waaaay over thinking this. I'll practice on some steel plate before I do the actual lock. A million thanks!
Greg

Offline helwood

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 04:05:37 AM »
I know this is a little past but thought I'd give it a shot.  Until you started talking about your Ferguson I really hadn't thought about it much.  It's been a long time a a number of guns down the road.  This is how I secured the front of the lock in mine.  Hope the photos work.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 04:45:09 AM »
helwood,
That's a clever way to hold the front of the plate down. I'll keep it in mind after I figure out the vent issue. Thank you
Greg