Author Topic: Bucks County rifle by Paul Wilder  (Read 4340 times)

Offline JLSawyer

Bucks County rifle by Paul Wilder
« on: August 05, 2018, 02:57:02 PM »
Hello All,

Long time reader, first time poster here...haha. I'm posting in the hopes of getting some opinions on a gunbroker purchase I just made. It is a Bucks County rifle made by a gentleman named Paul Wilder from Watertown, NY. I'm new to flintlock shooting and I know the names and work of various contemporary builders, but I have not heard of this builder before. I followed the auction for the past week and studied the pictures very closely before bidding. With twenty minutes left in the auction I bid at the starting bid price and to my surprise no one else bid on it. I was able to get it for $1,500 plus $55 shipping.

The rifle appears to be very well made and the architecture seems correct to Bucks County rifles attributed to John Shuler. It exhibits most if not all of the classic Shuler traits from what I can see. It also appears to be in unfired condition. I was't sure if the silver star inlays were correct but I think they are a nice feature. Also wasn't sure as to why the builder incorporated two different patch box release buttons.

So what do you think? Give it to me straight? Good, bad, or otherwise. Did I make a good purchase. Is it a good rifle? Did I get a good deal? I know the best way to buy is to see it in person and hold it first but that's not how Gunbroker works so here we are. Would love to hear everyones thoughts. Really appreciate it. Take care.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779824514

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
Lititz, PA
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:03:19 PM by JLSawyer »
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Bucks County rifle by Paul Wilder
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »
Very good looking Bucks County gun. You’d not get one built for much less than $1000 over that price. I often dislike all the weird camera angles in guns for sale but that’s my only criticism. Nicely carved!
Andover, Vermont

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
I saw that gun on there.  It is a nice rifle for the money.  The carving is good.  Parts cost with getting the barrel inlet and postage is about $1000.  You did good at that price.  I was watching it, but not being a fan of 44" barrels I didn't bid on it. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:37:41 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 11:26:09 PM »
      You did well of value for price.  On your question about the patchbox release(s).  Neither one is correct, the release should be under the toe plate.   The sideplate is also not of a type seen on the originals.  The carving that can be seen is "generally" Bucks Co. with some deviation.   Overall a good grab.
Ron 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline AMartin

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:31:12 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken ... this rifle is built by Pat Wilder from Watertown ..
I just spoke with Pat the other day ...and I'm building him a rifle as we speak ..

Allen

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 07:30:56 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken ... this rifle is built by Pat Wilder from Watertown ..
I just spoke with Pat the other day ...and I'm building him a rifle as we speak ..

Allen

Okay Pat not Paul. Haha....what are you thoughts on it Allen? Thanks.
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline AMartin

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 01:03:57 PM »
Actually this looks to be a neat Bucks Co rifle , without seeing it in real life .
Price was a steal ..

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 03:48:58 PM »
Actually this looks to be a neat Bucks Co rifle , without seeing it in real life .
Price was a steal ..

Allen,

Thanks! I was hoping I did good. It’s hard telling from pictures. Next time I’m in Mifflinburg visiting family I’ll be sure to bring it along and make some time to stop by your shop so you can give it a once over in person. If it shoots as good as it looks, I’m hoping to use it for deer in 4D this coming season.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:48:58 AM by JLSawyer »
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline AMartin

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »
Yes sir ... please bring it along when coming to Mifflinburg ...

I just heard back from Pat and he most certainly built this gun , maybe close to 30 years ago .. .. he was happy to see the pics I shared with him ..

Allen

Offline yip

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »
 would be nice for more pics, patch box release spring and front veiw of muzzle. these views would be of help.

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »
would be nice for more pics, patch box release spring and front veiw of muzzle. these views would be of help.

I think these are pretty good views of those areas. I can post more once I have the rifle in hand. Thanks.

https://ibb.co/bSBJQp
https://ibb.co/eA0pWU
https://ibb.co/huadQp
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline yip

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:12 PM »
 Thanks J.L I'm planning on building a Bucks County and would like to know all i can

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 02:25:45 PM »
Thanks J.L I'm planning on building a Bucks County and would like to know all i can

Things to note about these areas...the muzzle cap was left open at the top and the end grain of the wood is exposed. Also from what I’ve read, seen, and been told the patch box release buttons on this particular rifle are incorrectly placed. The release button should be positioned underneath where the toe plate is located. I’ve never built a rifle before and am fairly new to all of this so please don’t quote me on that. Maybe some folks here with true expertise can weigh in. I’m okay with the way this rifle is because I’ll be using it for shooting and hunting so I can live with it’s lack of historical correctness. Regardless of any inaccuracies it may have, this is still the nicest rifle in my collection by far.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:47:52 PM by JLSawyer »
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline yip

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 02:52:01 PM »
J.L. thanks for the input i hope more guys will weigh in this. i hope Flehto emails me back he has one nice looking  Bucks.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:12:40 PM by yip »