Author Topic: Bamboo ball bag spout  (Read 1800 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Bamboo ball bag spout
« on: August 07, 2018, 03:01:07 AM »
I’m not sure native cane ever grew big enough for this but invasive bamboo makes a pretty handy spout for ball bags.  I use a clothespin style stopper.  Here’s a big one for my 20 ga round balls.  Work in progress.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Elnathan

Re: Bamboo ball bag spout
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 03:28:06 AM »
Arundinaria gigantea gets up to three inches in diameter,  evidently.

GENERAL BOTANICAL CHARACTERISTICS:
This description provides characteristics that may be relevant to fire ecology, and is not meant for identification. Keys for identification of cane are available (e.g. [48,64,77,97]).

Cane is a native, perennial, evergreen grass that grows to a height of 6.6 to 32.8 feet (2-10 m). The coarse stems are round and hollow, 0.7 to 3 inches (2-7.6 cm) thick, and generally survive for about 10 years. Leaves range from 3.9 to 11.8 inches (10-30 cm) in length and from 0.8 to 1.6 inches (2-4 cm) wide. The flowers are racemes or simple panicles with several spikelets 1.6 to 2.8 inches (4-7 cm) long and 0.3 inch (8 mm) wide. The fruit is a caryopsis, 0.3 inch (8 mm) long and 0.1 inch (3 mm) wide. Cane forms an extensive system of tough, thick rhizomes [18,48,51,64,77]. Rhizomes vary in size but rarely are larger than 0.75 inch (1.9 cm) in diameter [55].

https://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/arugig/all.html

Sounds like you could get a ball bag spout for a small artillery piece out of a big one.... :o
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

sespe

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »
Not quite sure if it is the same thing, but we call it "Arundo" here in SoCal.  It burns like crazy with loud popping explosive noises.  Sadly, burning it does not get rid of the source, so we fight these @!*% river-bottom fires year after year.

But hey, if I can make something out of it, I'll go cut some. 

Offline R.I.J.

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »
At last......a use for the #%&$# stuff. Thanks

Offline webradbury

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 03:23:37 PM »
Sounds like you could get a ball bag spout for a small artillery piece out of a big one.... :o

That’s funny.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline webradbury

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 03:24:59 PM »
I have thought about trying to make a primer out of a piece.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 03:31:01 PM »
Finished it up last night.  Now I’ve got a primitive bag for those 20 ga round balls.  I use iron saturated AQF on cherry and it goes almost black, which I like.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 04:44:39 PM »
 Nice job Rich, I like the way you covered the neck.

Tim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 07:19:26 PM »
Thanks, Tim. Some make the clothespin long enough that it must be squeezed just under the neck. I find that tedious so rely on spring pressure of the wooden clothespin. We will see how the spring holds up.  If it doesn’t work I will shorten the neck till the ends of the stopper click below the neck.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 08:41:31 PM »
Cane also makes nice powder measures. That stuff is tougher than woodpecker lips and the longer it dries the tougher it gets. Nice job Rich and thanks for sharing your idea.
Regards
Frank Barker

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
THATS NOT H/C-P/C!!!!  Lol🤪. Really great work! I love it!  If my Pandas weren’t such pigs,I’d have Bamboo to work with! Lol! 

Love seeing your work!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 05:24:12 PM »
THATS NOT H/C-P/C!!!!  Lol🤪. Really great work! I love it!  If my Pandas weren’t such pigs,I’d have Bamboo to work with! Lol! 

Love seeing your work!

If your pandas were pigs they could have provided the leather!
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
That's an imaginative way to make a ball bag.  Not sure at all if I could even come close to copying that cool pin.  I was born and bred in the Ga flatlands and became intimately familiar with giant rivercane.  We would make it into fishing poles and walking sticks.  In my 62 years living in Ga I also became well acquainted with canebrake rattlers; their toxicity is legendary as is their shyness.

Rivercane is now rare, and that's a shame.  There are three species of native cane and rivercane is the largest.  The stuff can get up to around 3" in dia and 25' to 35' tall; a wonderful plant that humans are trying to eradicate. 

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.