Author Topic: Proportions  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Maurice

Proportions
« on: August 09, 2018, 03:47:35 PM »
Does anybody have any pictures of (or links to images of) a full stocked flintlock/caplock with a 30 in. barrel?  I am looking for some idea of how the lower and upper forearm lengths might look in relation to the barrel.  Or is this barrel length too short for a full stock?  Style is not important at this point.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Proportions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
Does anybody have any pictures of (or links to images of) a full stocked flintlock/caplock with a 30 in. barrel?  I am looking for some idea of how the lower and upper forearm lengths might look in relation to the barrel.  Or is this barrel length too short for a full stock?  Style is not important at this point.

Then it really doesn't make any difference.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 04:00:14 PM »
A fullstock that length falls into 2 very different categories. Many European “jaeger “ rifles have that barrel length or thereabouts. And some late Leman trade rifles were full stocked and had short barrels. Not my cup of tea but you could look for them.
Andover, Vermont

Offline little joe

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 04:04:36 PM »
Google (Leman trade rifle photos)  a lot of full photos here.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 06:51:20 PM »
Here's one with a 31" Getz .60 cal barrel.  Acer built one a few years ago with a 25" barrel, I think, and it looks great in full stock.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 07:28:18 PM »
Here is a .54 caliber rifle I built over 40 years ago. The barrel is 30 1/2” long and 1” straight. The lock is a small Siler. Has been my “go to” deer rifle since I made it.

As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 07:38:24 PM »
If your planning a build, probably a good idea to lay it out on craft paper or a piece of cardboard to see how it all works out.  I have been starting the lower forearm length at approx. 1/3 of the barrel length and then tweak it from there.  Of course it also depends on the school you are building as well.

Offline yip

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 07:57:00 PM »
 try going to Track Of Wolf and get a full lenght drawing to get an idea, jang in there!

n stephenson

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:48 AM »
Here is a .54 caliber rifle I built over 40 years ago. The barrel is 30 1/2” long and 1” straight. The lock is a small Siler. Has been my “go to” deer rifle since I made it.

Looks like it work too!! ;D

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 01:41:22 AM »
look on Jim Chambers kit website. He has that sweet English short rifle with a 31 inch barrel, and also I think a small fellow rifle that has a short barrel.

K
Galations 2:20

Offline okieboy

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 01:59:23 AM »
 Irregardless of "proportions" I personally think that one wants to make the grip portion of the forearm long enough that you actually grip it and not the ramrod channel. Perhaps that is proportioning to your body dimensions, rather than the barrel length.
Okieboy

Offline Herb

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 07:15:33 AM »
Here is a 24 inch Leman fullstock flintlock.  I think my post about this is in Black Powder Shooting on Feb 4, 2018, "Testing a short .58 Leman Elk Rifle".

Herb

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 06:31:09 PM »
Hi Maurice,
I tend to like the forestock from the muzzle back to the step for the rear ramrod thimble to be between 60-75% of the total barrel channel length.  I tend to make it closer to 60-65% for short barreled guns and closer to 70-75% for longer barreled guns.  The photos below show two guns of English design exhibiting those proportions.  The short rifle has a forestock 61% of the length of the 31" barrel and the longer fowler has a forestock 74% of the total 42" barrel length.  These proportions are what consistently appeal to my eye for design.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 08:45:40 PM »
   Dave I can see the animals standing inline to get shot by those two beauties......!  Oldtravler

Offline Maurice

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »
Thanks to all that responded with suggestions, dimensions and pictures. They definitely helped me avoid a design error in my first build from a stock blank.