Author Topic: Banded Screw Tip  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Banded Screw Tip
« on: August 09, 2018, 04:43:12 PM »
 In the style of a horn found on page 368 of Jay Hopkins' Bone Tipped & Banded Horns Vol I The original being found in West Virginia.
 It is 14" around the outside curve and 11 Tip-To-Tip. The Maple butt is held in place by 16 wooden pegs, it is hollowed out about 3'4s it's length. The collar is horn threaded 5/8s-11NC as is the tip, which is of Antler, on the original they were pinned in place. The bands are secured with Three iron pins each. Color is Oil based leather dyes and Brown shoe polish. 

Tim C. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Banded Screw Tip
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:16:04 PM »
Nice!  You’re at the stage where you can create whatever appeals to you. I think that’s called mastery.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 11:51:38 PM »
Nice one, Tim!  That is a beautiful horn...love the coloration and proportions. That sure would suit a fine Southern rifle.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 01:33:48 AM »
Nice horn.....color is very appealing.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 03:51:14 AM »
 Another fine looking job, Tim. You sure do a great banded horn.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 04:44:35 AM »
Ditto Bob's comment. Beautiful.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 03:15:37 PM »
Beautiful horn, Tim.  Any problems using the taps and die on the horn or the wooden plug?  Many years ago I had special threading taps and dies especially for wood, but moved too many times!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »
On man Tim, that looks genuine.  Like it is 200 years old.  It isn't overdone.  I really like it.  Bet it doesn't come back from CLA with you.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 05:28:47 PM »
Beautiful horn, Tim.  Any problems using the taps and die on the horn or the wooden plug?  Many years ago I had special threading taps and dies especially for wood, but moved too many times!
es

Standard machine taps and dies. You have to go slow, about a quarter turn and back off, clean out the scrap a lot, use a good lube, I use something called Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator. Sharp taps and dies are a must, as is tapering the piece to start a die, I use both a tapered tap and a bottoming tap.
 Have a separate set of taps and dies for wood something like 6 TPI.

Tim C.