Author Topic: Maximum Point Blank Range  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Cory McArtor

Maximum Point Blank Range
« on: September 06, 2018, 12:43:55 AM »
I'm sanding my Kibler Colonial and will hopefully sight it in next week.  With my unmentionable rifles, I sight them in for maximum point blank range (basically so the rise and fall of the round will be within the vertical limits of the the kill zone of a deer for as long as possible even if I hold dead center).  Does anyone know roughly how I could figure out how high/low to sight in a .54 longrifle for the same effect?  Or does it not really matter since the range will be shorter anyway?

Thanks,

Cory

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
Re: Maximum Point Blank Range
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 12:52:13 AM »
How far can you shoot accurately with primitive sights?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 12:57:12 AM »
Get it shooting an inch high at 25 yards. That抣l put you in his boiler room under normal hunting conditions with these guns unless you try some kind of long yardage trick shot.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 01:26:06 AM »
I sight my guns for "dead on" at forty yards.  That is my self-imposed range limit.  Being primarily a bowhunter, the majority of my shots are 18 yds.  The last Axis buck I shot was at 6 feet.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 01:26:21 AM »
I like sighting in a hunting rifle for 2" high at 100 yards.  That will put me in the kill zone at all the shorter ranges.  This also allows to be in the kill zone at 125 yards, if I happen to take a deer out there.

The other poster are right, it all depends on what you and the rifle can do. 

I have seen people that should not be shooting a deer at 50 yards off hand.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Cory McArtor

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 02:31:21 AM »
How far can you shoot accurately with primitive sights?

Right now with my .45 flintlock I would feel comfortable taking a shot at a deer out to 100 yards (from a rest, not offhand).  Ultimately it isn't a huge issue because every deer I've killed so far has been 40 yards or less, but I want to give myself the opportunity to take longer shots if needed.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 02:45:14 AM »
Maximum point blank range depends on velocity and retained energy, not how far you are comfortable shooting.  Ya gotta know your trajectory.  Knowing those two things will allow you to zero your rifle for its maximum point blank range.  You can, however, zero your rifle for a point blank range that is less than its maximum.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline little joe

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
Try a black quarter size target at 13 yards, dead on  and it will shoot in the black at 25-50 and 100 yds Around 90 grains and proper patch and ball

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 02:55:49 PM »
I have two .54 rifles.  I sighted them at 100 yds.  center hold and to hit center.
The one with the GRRW barrel eats 95 grains of Goex 2f.  The Rayl barrel eats 90 grains of the same.
I'm pretty much dead center at !00 yds. About 5 inches high at 50 yds. Dead on again at 25 yards.
I consider that point blank range with those rifles. Though I will take a supported shot whenever possible. I practice all ranges offhand. Like Dirty Harry said " A man has to know his limitations".
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 05:35:59 PM »
What TOF said is really the key.  Also, if you know the velocity, or can reasonably estimate it, try this tool to help you out and put you in the ball park. http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/rbballistics/web_apps/rb_ballistics.html

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 07:22:02 PM »
Since your 40 yd range has worked for you so far. You could stay with it. Easy to sight in then. :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 04:22:36 AM »
A good .54 properly sighted should give you a point blank range on a deer broadside, mind you, of about 130 yards.
I am considering on this, that you are using a pure lead 535" ball, a denim.022" or thicker patch AND at least 120gr. 2F GOEX AND that this load is giving you sub. 4" groups at 100 yards off the bench.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 04:25:04 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rsells

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 07:50:24 AM »
I work up a load that gives the best group in the rifle, and use that load for matches as well as hunting.  I shoot the rifle a bunch at unknown yardages and learn where to aim to  hit the target at longer yardages.  I have used a .54 cal rifle for many years and have gotten extremely comfortable with it.  In my head I will not take a shot if the deer is over 125 yards.  This particular rifle shot best with 70 grains of FFF, .535 ball and thick pillow ticking.  This load was dead on at 25 yards and 50 yards, about 2 inches low at 75 yards, and 5 1/2 low at 100 yards.  The 25 yard group is an elongated hole, about the size of a quarter at 50 yards, and printed a 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yds.  Most of the deer I have taken with this rifle were under 50 yards, but I have taken five deer in the 100 yard range.  At the longer range I raise my point of aim to just under the line of the spine with the goal of putting the ball in the lung area.  It works for me.  This rifle has shot very consistent for me over the many years I have used it and it has increased my confidence level a bunch.  The variation is in me and not in the rifle. 
                                                                                                           Roger Sells   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:52:09 AM by rsells »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 03:27:50 PM »
My hunting rifle is sighted in at 25 yards ...dead on , since this is usually the max distance I shoot in the woods around here.  That said, if I put my front sight base in the rear sight notch, I'm dead on at 100 yards.  Easy.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »
I shot 80gr of 2F and a .530 ball with .018 ticking out of my .54. I shoot this combo because this is what my gun likes, no other reason. I will take accuracy over power any day.

I sight in with a 6 o'clock hold on a 2" bull to hit dead center at 50 yards. I am 4" low with the same hold at 100 yards.

Where I hunt a 50 yard shot is seldom possible with 25 to 30 being the norm.