Author Topic: Bore protection. What do you prefer?  (Read 5953 times)

Offline Skychief

Re: Bore protection. What do you prefer?
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2018, 04:36:22 AM »
Thank you JB

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2018, 06:36:31 AM »
I used Jim Chamber's heavy oil for years with no problems. Then it seemed I started cleaning my rifles at the house instead of the shop (Where the Chambers oil was kept) so I'd use what ever was handy, mostly Remoil. Never had a problem with that either. I think any good oil will do. I lube my locks with synthetic motor oil, never thought about using it for the bore.....
American horses of Arabian descent.

TP

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2018, 07:55:55 PM »
3-in-1 oil for 50+ years now with no problems. If the firearm won't be shot for a while I lather the oil on, if not then a thin coating will do. Always run a clean patch down the bore to remove excess oil before loading.

dave

I agree, 3-in-1 Oil is what I was taught to use by my Grandfather and my Father and it has never let me down.  With black powder, clean with room temp water, wipe dry and apply the oil.

Turtle

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2018, 08:37:31 PM »
fluid film is also called woolwax-a lanolin product from sheep wool-natural and attacks nothing. It was developed as a rust inhibitor for offshore oil platforms and ships in salt water. I love the stuff.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 08:40:55 PM »
Break free CLP, on the lock, in the bore, on the outside of the barrel, on the wood.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2018, 03:26:02 AM »
I like to lightly coat down the bore with Break-Free. Then wipe exterior, let set overnight and wipe it off. Great protection.  As for denatured, I got the last at Tractor Supply. (Used a fifty-fifty mix with glyceren/denatured alcohol to "tan" a snake skin.)

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2018, 04:13:27 AM »
fluid film is also called woolwax-a lanolin product from sheep wool-natural and attacks nothing. It was developed as a rust inhibitor for offshore oil platforms and ships in salt water. I love the stuff.

I also use Fluid Film.  The local chain auto parts probably has some.   My general purpose oil is ATF with anhydrous  Lanolin melted in it to thicken a bit.  It also works very well to keep the rust away as well as being an excellent general purpose lube. 

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2018, 04:55:43 AM »
Speaking of denatured alcohol, where are you guys buying it?  I've been to two China Marts and they say they don't carry it.

Best regards, Skychief

Look in the paint department.

Bore protection = Barricade by Birchwood Casey

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2018, 05:01:54 AM »

I know lanolin.  Never knew it was called fluid film.

The kind I use is just 100% wool squeezins- sold for cosmetic/skin use, and pre-dates oil platforms.  I think Lanolin goes back as far as sheep, metal, and salt.  I've not used it that for metal protection, but it's great for fingers and dry air-the best.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2018, 05:07:31 AM »
Speaking of denatured alcohol, where are you guys buying it?  I've been to two China Marts and they say they don't carry it.

Look in the paint department.

OR, when you REALLY GOTTA have denatured alcohol, go to the spirits store and ask for their highest proof of all- usually 190 for Everclear or something similar.  And then add some toxic (more toxic) chemicals to it.   Then you have denatured your own alcohol.

But of course it works in place of hardware store denatured just the same without denaturing it.
Hold to the Wind

HAWKEN

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2018, 06:47:26 PM »
Skychief, I found denatured alcohol in the paint department at Walmart............robin

Offline Skychief

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 01:47:05 AM »
Thanks all. I found some at the local hardware pusher.  Used it today in fact. 

Best regards, Skychief.

PS, I made some beeswax/lard cakes and used it as patch lube and ran some downbore after cleaning and drying today.  Will see how that goes.  The lube shot great by the way.  I'm looking forward to the results it gives as a rust preventative.  Thanks again.

Anonymous

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 05:20:18 AM »
First muzzleloader was a acquired in the early 1970s. This was after shooting a number of muzzleloaders previously. Many were originals. My ‘mentor’, who owed and shot multiple originals thought WD40 was the way to go for bore protection. Since then, the only rust I  have seen/experienced involved muzzleloaders not treated with WD40.  Might be the an exception, but I am sold. Lived in North Carolina since early 90s.  No rust problems in more muzzleloaders bores than I can count.

For full disclosure, can NOT recommend WD40 for any mechanical device, say for example a lock or bolt from a modern style rifle.  The stuff gunks up the mechanical device. A white frosty residue.  Below freezing your are screwed.  Just my opinion. 

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 07:24:24 AM »
WD-40 is what made me change to CLP.  Kept getting rust......and I live in Arizona. 
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »
Barricade for me also. I wipe the whole gun down with it, inside and out.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline bgf

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 03:57:12 AM »
WD-40: according to the internet it doesn't work, but my experience has been different.  Thicker oil tends to stick in bore and foul grooves quickly.  Ok in a shotgun, though.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 04:51:54 PM »
Whatever is handy, but ATF is good.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »
Anutha (Boston speak ... ) fan of Barricade here! NEVER had an issue ...
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2018, 04:08:12 AM »
One of the best and most comprehensive tests of gun care and other commercial products for rust prevention, etc.  Long but very informative.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Turtle

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
 Almost anything works if you clean perfectly first and if you give a touchup fairly frequently, and the gun is stored in good conditions. The test is an imperfect cleaning job, poor conditions like tripping and camping with your gun after firing, or long term storage without attention. Fluid film is my current favorite for these reasons, besides it's cheap!
                                                              Turtle

Offline PPatch

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2018, 04:51:19 PM »

Best regards, Skychief
lowes / home depot.

And in the walmart paint department .

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2018, 09:58:09 PM »
If there's anything better than "Barricade" or maybe BreakFree CLP, I haven't found it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Turtle

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
 This question is like asking about your favorite patch lube--lots of answers ---all right. Ken Brisien, the famous barrel maker used to store his barrels full of 30 wt motor oil.
                                                      Turtle

Offline redheart

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2018, 06:31:22 PM »
If there's anything better than "Barricade" or maybe BreakFree CLP, I haven't found it.
If you read the comparison test that davec2 mentioned you'll see that Barricade and BreakFree CLP aren't even in the same room with the top five.
However they are apparently working well enough for what you use them for. :-\
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:32:34 PM by redheart »

Turtle

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2018, 09:21:29 PM »
thanks for that comparison article. I wonder if black powder fouling on the metal would make a different result? Muzzel blasts had a good article on this subject--I think.