Author Topic: front lock hooks--English guns  (Read 1119 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
front lock hooks--English guns
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:00:31 AM »

There are at leas three ways to make a hook on a lock plate.
#  1  and the easiest way is to solder it on with fine silver.  Fine silver solders well and melts at 1760°1f so the lock can be case hardened afterwards without the hook coming off.
# 2 is to chisel a slot in the plate and stake the hook in the slot much in the same way a barrel hoop is put in but with an  elongated slot.
#3 is illustrated in the drawing below.  Sometimes the hook was wide and just hooked into the wood and sometimes a lip was made on the lock plate that just hooked in the wood in the front.

There were only two logical reasons for a hook to be put on a lock plate That I can think of.   #1 is so that any side plate could be used even if it did not match the holes in the lock plate. #2 is to avoid the ramrod channel with the front lock bolt . In any case it was quite common on English Firearms in the 18the century.
  PS-- sometimes a small plate was placed down alongside of the barrel channel and the hook screw in the stock was threaded into the plate
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:04:04 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline conquerordie

Re: front lock hooks--English guns
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »
jerrywh,
Thank you for posting this. So is this a blind hole coming from the inside of the plate that the hook screws into? It would only engage a couple threads, but it should be enough. It's a short tutorial, but this would be a great addition to the tutorial section for anyone who wants to add this to their next projects.
Greg

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 05:50:04 PM »
 The hook type that screws into the lock plate can be a blind hole but it is not necessary.  Some of the locks you see that look like they are installed with a through screw are actually hooked. Another method is to just drill a small hole in the plate and make the hook so it has a stud going through the plate.  Then just stake the hook in the hole as you would put a stud on a patch box release. The stud can be put in like a rivet and filed over and cannot be seen. Any average gun maker could do this. Some people say these methods were never used on American guns but never is a harsh word. The first gun shop in Williamsburg was started by a English man from the  gun makers guild in England.  His name was John Brush.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 05:55:08 PM »
Thanks for this, Jerry.

I think one of the biggest challenges in gunmaking is to make a really fine slim pistol. There is no margin of error, nor any extra real estate, in the lock area for the ramrod and front screw(if there is one). A hooked front would be of great service here.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 07:11:35 AM »
Most informative!  Thanks Jerry.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing