Author Topic: Wood barrel ribs  (Read 1307 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Wood barrel ribs
« on: August 11, 2018, 03:32:51 AM »
I'm looking at building a 1/2 stock flintlock rifle with a wood barrel rib. I can't remember where I've seen one before, but I believe it was an early [ 1700's ? ] gun   .  Can anyone point me in the right direction ?     I've had this piece of wood for years, and would like to use it. 

Offline conquerordie

Re: Wood barrel ribs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 03:39:34 AM »
New England rifles had wooden under ribs sometimes. But they'd most likely be early 19th century.
Greg

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 03:59:59 AM »
This is my interpretation of gun made in St. Louis by a gunsmith who was originally from New Hampshire.  The underrib is cherry and has darkened quite a bit since made.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 04:04:09 AM »
Interesting flute in the rib. I don’t know that I have ever seen that before but I like it.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 04:14:22 AM »
... original East Tennessee rifle,... has wood under-rib,... rifle may have originally been full-stock ,... regards,... C C Fiddler

god poetry

aluminium chloride formula

symbol for aluminium oxide

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »
I found the example that I had in mind....although it turns out it doesn't have a wood rib after all. I think I'm going to use one anyway.  The example is on Flintriflesmith website...the Swiss /German gun     It's an early half stock.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 06:37:56 PM »
Bob,

That's a very cool gun.  And an ambitious project!  Keep us posted on your progress.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 02:44:19 PM »
I put a wood under rib on a 1 inch .58 caliber Hawken barrel that I can swap onto my .54 Hawken.  The steel under rib and thimbles weigh in at 9 ounces on my .54 barrel. the Hickory under rib and thimbles weigh in at 2 ounces.
I basically copied a steel under rib out of Hickory. I made thimbles out of sheet steel, and pinned them to the under rib. I screwed the rib in the barrel with 5-40 screws. I removed the browning from the flat the under rib went on. Epoxied it when I screwed it on. The epoxy seals it to the barrel. I stained  it very dark and used spar urethane to seal it. I will try and post a picture of it later.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass