Author Topic: Hammer and Chisel Kentucky Rifle engraving Class  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Hammer and Chisel Kentucky Rifle engraving Class
« on: August 11, 2018, 06:41:56 PM »
Hammer and Chisel Kentucky Rifle engraving Class

It was great to meet so many of you at Dixon's, and was happy to be able to demonstrate graver sharpening to you. Many of you expressed an interest in the tools and the engraving class I'm teaching in September. (Note that you don't need to take the class to get the tools. I cannot over-emphasize the importance of hands-on, person to person education when it comes to engraving)

The class will be held at Southern Ohio Workshops this Sept 24 to 26. This is on a first come-first served basis, so please visit Southern Ohio Workshop site for the class description. There are currently openings in the SECOND session, which is Sept 24 to 26. Link to class: https://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/engraving-workshop.html   
For info on booking the class, pricing, accommodations and other useful info, please visit this link: https://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/request-information.html

You will learn how to successfully sharpen your graver, and be able to repeat this feat, made easy with the Lindsay Template system, photographed below. You will get it. Then we will learn to make cuts with the graver, learn hand control, depth of cut, how to make smooth turns, and much more. Drawing your patterns, making transfers from a laser print onto your plate, breathing life into your engraving, and some simple border work.

Please understand that this is for beginning engraving, and it's an intensive class. While it takes years of practice and study to become fluent in engraving, these three days are going to get you started, and arm you with enough information and skills to be able to engrave your own rifle.

You will need to purchase some tools for the class, if you don't already have them. If you intend to take the class, do not wait too long to order the tools you need! Sometimes things are backordered, and you won't have them in time for the class. I do bring some spare tools. For a tool list and questions about the class, please contact me at thoscurran(at)gmail(dot)com  or PM me on the ALR messaging. Please include your email.

I hope to see you in September...if not, next July at Dixon's!

Thanks,

Tom

Basic tools needed. You may already have some of these in your shop.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:44:29 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Hammer and Chisel Kentucky Rifle engraving Class
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 03:58:07 AM »
Tom,

Steve Lindsay shipped my stuff yesterday.  I'm looking forward to taking the class and meeting some other ALR folks that are taking it as well.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 07:35:04 AM »
Tom,
Received my Lindsay materials today and amazing how simple they seem. Looking forward to the class and meeting all the others with this passion that drives us all to keep learning. Appreciate the opportunity to come to the class as it should be great fun! Thanks.
elkhorne

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »
Tom, I am really looking forward to this class!  I've been learning to sharpen the gravers with that nifty template - goes very quickly from a blunt piece of HSS to a polished, finished graver.

I put one into the end of a 1/2" Xacto blade holder, and two into push gravers - all work well.

Thanks for teaching the up-coming class!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 04:37:35 PM »
I'm signed up for the first session, 9/21-23.  I've had the Lindsay sharpening system for a while and have done a very limited amount of engraving.  I'm really looking forward to the hands-on instruction and meeting fellow ALR members.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 04:46:58 PM »
Where are the Lindsay items and system available.  I see them mentioned a lot but did not know if it was a brand or a person.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
http://www.lindsayengraving.com/

Tools for the class are at the bottom of his tool page, and are listed in the class "handout" that Maryellen sent with the confirmation note.

I look forward to seeing you there, and I think it will be a unique experience for me!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »
I applaud you on teaching your engraving class.  Nothing can replace hands-on practice when guided by a gifted artisan!  I envy those who can take the time and afford to spend the days with you in your class!  Unfortunately, many of us cannot.  I know it would never replace actual hands on experience, but would you ever consider videoing your instruction?  Maybe it would be too small an audience to have the video done professionally--although I cannot find any gun engraving videos when I search the internet, so there is a need.  Even having a friend video you engraving and sharpening gravers--as Jim Kibler is doing with his carving videos would be much appreciated!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »
For those attending Acer's class note that Southern Ohio Workshop provides a bunk bed but you should bring your own sheets/blanket, and bathing stuff.

You'll have a great time learning engraving basics - Tom is a fun instructor to work with - enjoy!

dave
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:32:41 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »
Dave, I had great fun working with you. You took the laser print transfer method I was demonstrating, and improved it. I learned something that day from you. I taught you to lighten up on your hammering, and suddenly your engraving took right off. A very satisfying class for the both of us.

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 03:45:37 AM »
I sent my check in a week ago, after emailing with Maryellen Pratt.  I haven't heard anything back yet, but I'm hoping I get in the second session.
Tom, I got your email with the supplies list. I've got the templates and diamond plates and a doohickey to hold the plates. Got to check the magnification on my Optivisor.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 04:14:17 PM »
Guys, I'm very sorry to announce that I have been having health concerns that made me realize that I would not be able to give this class the full attention and energy it needs and deserves. To this end, I am going to postpone the class until a later date; Maryellen and Ian Pratt will post new dates should we settle on a new date.

Thank you so very much for your interest in the class; I'll do this once I'm up to snuff.

Regards, Tom

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
Guys, I'm very sorry to announce that I have been having health concerns that made me realize that I would not be able to give this class the full attention and energy it needs and deserves. To this end, I am going to postpone the class until a later date; Maryellen and Ian Pratt will post new dates should we settle on a new date.

Thank you so very much for your interest in the class; I'll do this once I'm up to snuff.

Regards, Tom

Tom, I wish you a speedy recovery!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!