Author Topic: She's a shooter  (Read 1364 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
She's a shooter
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:30:47 PM »
Hi,
I finally shot my new English fowler (http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=48165.0).  I only had 13 0.60 cal balls so I used those with 0.010 thick linen patches lubed with ballistol and water. I used 75 grs of 2F powder and shot at about 40 yards.  I use a laser bore sighter on all my builds which I find gets them well within the target area at 40-50 yards.  That way I don't have to shoot any closer to get shots on paper. I started shooting from the bench to get comfortable with the sight picture and then shot a few rounds off hand. Shots 1-5 were me getting used to the gun, then I changed point of aim for shots 6-9, then shot 10-13 off hand. The last group is miss numbered in the photo (I have 2 number 9s).  The amazing thing is that after bore sighting, I had not touched the front sight. It is pretty much right on as is. The shift in shot placement when shooting off hand is typical for me with smooth bores. My rear sight is my face on the stock and that differs a little when shooting from my bench and off hand. My flint was well used but as ever with Chambers round-faced English locks, ignition was fast and infallible. I did not clean anything, just kept shooting.

dave

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:32:35 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline stubshaft

Re: She's a shooter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 07:59:28 PM »
Great shooting!  She definitely is a shooter.  I use the same type of rear sight that you do and have reshaped some of my stocks just to get the right sight picture.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Jerry

Re: She's a shooter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
smart dog, Good shooting. If you need additional .62 cal. round balls, I have plenty. I went from .62 to .28. Jerry