Author Topic: William G Shreckengost  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
William G Shreckengost
« on: August 12, 2018, 02:40:17 AM »
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:05:19 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

leadslinger62

Re: William G Shreckengost
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 06:09:59 AM »
Unbelievably beautiful Craftsmanship....

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 06:42:26 AM »
Another one has made it home!  Grand rifle!

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
Rob,

Nice, a new find?

Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 02:16:51 PM »
 The first time I saw it was 10 years ago. It’s completely untouched. There is significant hand wear on the wear plate And ramrod inlet pipe. The picture doesn’t do the signature justice.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 03:55:45 PM »
Rob;

William sure had a way with inletting, most excellent work. That cheek piece inlay was not easy. Isn't that the Schrecengost who become somewhat of a hermit following his Civil War experiences?

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Online Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
Rob, you are a very fortunate fellow to have a piece of art like this that was actually built by an ancestor!

Your GGGG G'Pa did a splendid piece of workmanship with this.  I think I am envious of that patchbox  and the surround for it.  Literally a timeless piece of art, and I can only hope to come even close one day.

Thank you so much for showing us that lovely rifle.  Yep, it does look used a bit - but that is what it was built for.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 04:43:08 PM »
It was his son Levi, Also a gunsmith, who became a hermit Dave. Thank you Craig I do feel blessed.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »
intriguing rifle, Rob! I hope to see it in person some day. Thanks for putting me on to William’s work. It is so unique and well done. However, I have yet to develop a taste for his up-turned butt plate :-)

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

n stephenson

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 06:05:08 PM »
Very Nice! Those patchbox hinge knuckles are about as tight as you could get!  Looks like he had spent some time with a graver!! ;)    Nice Find!!  Nate

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 08:03:05 PM »
I’d like to know where he learned to make those hidden hinges. He could engrave on different levels sometimes he used depth and shading and other times he just scratched them out

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »
He used the shader a good bit on this

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:07:26 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 08:08:51 PM »
The shader  is actually a single tool with four shallow cutters on it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:50:50 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline DaveM

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 11:10:31 PM »
That is beautiful, thanks for sharing photos!

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 02:12:19 AM »

Levi Shreckengost  PA Vol. 103rd, Co D; Andersonville survivor.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 02:16:04 AM »

Lincoln Grant Shreckengost, gunsmith

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 02:23:49 AM »

William G. Shreckengost, gunsmith

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »
What a beauty!
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 05:59:28 PM »

Online Craig Wilcox

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 09:15:40 PM »
This is the first time I have seen engraving at the front sight.  Classic acanthus, well done by a master.
Do you know of other builders who decorate the muzzle in this fashion?
The patch box shape really compliments the buttplate.
One more question - do you think that this rifle was originally built as a percussion, or perhaps a flint that was converted?
Thanks for the pictures Rob.

Craig
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 12:45:35 AM »
Rob,

I've been following this thread and keep meaning to comment. The rifle has some impressive details. Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 04:58:38 AM »
Some interesting names on this map

depression poems

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »
This is the first time I have seen engraving at the front sight.  Classic acanthus, well done by a master.
Do you know of other builders who decorate the muzzle in this fashion?
The patch box shape really compliments the buttplate.
One more question - do you think that this rifle was originally built as a percussion, or perhaps a flint that was converted?
Thanks for the pictures Rob.

Craig

I think they were always percussion.  Engraving at the front sight was more common in Europe but found on long rifles by Kuntz and others
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:01:47 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 08:12:09 PM »
I would like to spend some time researching whether or not the Baum and Harter families listed on this map are related to the gunsmithing families.
I know the Troutman's on this map are related to the gunsmith because I researched them earlier.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 12:06:44 AM »