Author Topic: Front Porch of my old shop  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Carper

Front Porch of my old shop
« on: August 12, 2018, 08:59:23 PM »
Here are a few Southern Mountain Rifles in their natural habitat.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:00:51 PM by Carper »

Offline okieboy

Re: Front Porch of my old shop
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:11:37 PM »
 Nice photograph. Your shop looks interesting, I would like to see more.
Okieboy

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 01:01:22 AM »
Cool picture. Vice, anvil, and stone wheel in the yard kinda helps bring it home.

Offline Angus

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 01:44:35 AM »
And a riflin worm

Offline Carper

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 02:21:04 AM »
Here is the inside , well one corner anyway. I had an old rifleling bench, antique boring machine and a real forge set up just to the left of this picture. Lots of old barrels got recut and quite a number of southern style rifles left this little place. BTW that is a Lenard Meadows rifle in the vice. He was a friend of Hacker Martin and a childhood role model of mine.

Offline Angus

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 02:47:41 AM »
Oh buddy! ;D ;D ;D Thers the meat n taters of a shop! You got any close up shots to share of the Meadows rifle?

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 03:46:46 AM »
 8) 8).. great pix and an honest to God  old-time  gunsmith shop... !!! ... any of your early guns from your WV days ever offered for sale,...? ...regards,  C C Fiddler .....

Offline Carper

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
Thanks so much for being interested in my rifles. I made 43 and rifled I guess twice or three times that many. Only sold a dozen or so gave the rest away for mostly graduation presents. The first 10 looked different but the last ones looked so much alike that little things like the patchbox or caliber would be the only difference. Never learned to engrave well. I was raised by blacksmiths whose parents had been old time riflemakers. They cast their furniture but I forged about all of mine. I also scoped my barrels before using them to make a rifle so I knew what they could do. If they would not shoot under 2” at 100 yards I wouldn’t use it. Some shot a lot better. I was blessed with outstanding eyesight and that led to being a way above average shooter so many folks thought there was something special about the barrels I cut. But I would bet any good production barrel would outperform mine. I don’t remember the last rifle of mine I saw for sell because so many were sentimental gifts I quess.  The picture is the front of the shop. The boy is holding a walnut fullstock squirrel rifle on a 30 year old mule named Clayton.

Offline Carper

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 09:18:49 AM »

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 09:41:06 AM »
Thanks, Carper, for these interesting photos. You gave up a lot to come to Kodiak, and Kodiak gained a lit when you came. We are grateful you are in Alaska.

Bill Paton, Anchorage :-)
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Carper

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 04:43:28 AM »
Thanks for the compliment Doc.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »
And a riflin worm

Ya, is that an original or one you use or both? 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Carper

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 10:54:14 PM »
The two iron rifles are recent mfg. The brass is 1860 vintage. All still shoot. Thanks for asking about them.

Offline jim alford

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »
Sure would appreciate some close up photos of those rifles . Have to love Southern guns .

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 07:19:24 AM »
Lovely to see the pictures and hear about your work, Carper.  Grand, honest work it is as well.

I must say, you can see the floor on your shop!  I think mine has one as well....

Offline Billy Mike

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 02:50:13 AM »
The boy is holding a walnut fullstock squirrel rifle on a 30 year old mule named Clayton.

30 is about when they're gentled enough to ride.