Author Topic: Bands on horns  (Read 1024 times)

Offline trentOH

Bands on horns
« on: August 12, 2018, 09:26:30 PM »
Mr. Crosby's posts below make me wonder....
Do bands on horns serve a functional purpose, or are they strictly decorative?
Are they always applied, or is the horn sometimes thick enough that band material can be left in place as the horn is built?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Bands on horns
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:59:20 PM »
Mr. Crosby's posts below make me wonder....
Do bands on horns serve a functional purpose, or are they strictly decorative?
Are they always applied, or is the horn sometimes thick enough that band material can be left in place as the horn is built?

If a horn is worn/carried long enough it will thin rubbing against your cloths and may develop a hole or a thin soft spot in it. If a band is placed on the horn, especially at its midsection it serves not only as a decoration but a sacrificial piece to extend the life of the horn. Add a few more protection and for decoration maybe.
 Yes some horns were made with bands carved from the horn, regionally, probably more from Eastern Tenn/Western N. C. but other areas are represented.
 Be interesting to hear other thoughts. Especially on the Philly style horns with a band at the base. Did that maybe start out as a functional piece, maybe because the horn was worked to thin at the base and was used to strengthen it? Some hunting horns had Bands at the Bell to strengthen them, a band at the Bell will change the tone of a horn.

Tim C.     

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 10:04:56 PM »
Hit "post" and the computer informs me that Tim has already said everything that I was about to say.

Madison Grant has a horn with integral rings and raised "dice" illustrated in his horn book.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 10:50:52 PM »
For a long time I thought banded horns were a regional NC thing from the Piedmont.  Little did I know they came from all over.  Jay's Volume I banded horn book is really fascinating.  Can't wait for banded horns number 2 that will have NC horns among others. 

I agree with Tim's comment.  Sacrificial wear area.  On the other hand, some of the banded horns are so elaborate that the bands have to be (at least partly) decoration.   

One thing that sticks in my mind is that the bands carved from the horn seem to be wider and lower profile than applied bands.  Of course, now someone will post a picture of a carved horn with high, narrow, sharp bands!   :-) 

God Bless,  Marc

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 01:01:20 AM »
In my experience, the applied bands that tend to survive are thicker, more beefy bands. My first banded horns had thin bands because I felt they were more refined looking. After having to replace some, I decided that the "old school" guys had a better grip on the style than I did.
I truly believe that the bands are more for decoration than anything else. Maybe for a better grip? I have used them to cover defects. I doubt they actually provide any strength to the horn. Whatever the reason they appeared, they surely caught on. I love to make them and I notice they are getting ever more popular.

Steve
Steve Skillman