Author Topic: Old Powderhorn Refurbish?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Wolfeknives

Old Powderhorn Refurbish?
« on: August 13, 2018, 03:40:55 AM »
I found this old powderhorn at a fleamarket. It has the initials LW carved into it. Since my initials are WL, it still works for me. I would like to refurbish the horn to make it serviceable for occasional use, but want to make sure I am not destroying a collectable artifact. I think these are common enough though? Is there a way to seal the original base plug, or do I need to replace it? I would like to keep the  original patina as much as possible, I really like it.
I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Wolfgang

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Old Powderhorn Refurbish?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 04:02:46 AM »
I would hang it up and enjoy it and make a copy. See Sibley's book- Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 04:04:22 AM »
My personal feeling is it could be put into service.  It’s common enough and is just another example of an old horn not tied to any specific place or time.  Your challenges will be sealing it and deciding how to put a strap on it.

I would use cutlers resin to seal it because the gaps look substantial.  I melt and mix pine pitch, ground charcoal, beeswax, and sometimes ground herbivore manure (horse or deep droppings) to a gooey consistency, slather that into the crevices, hit it with a heat gun and let it fill all the cavities. You can clean any over-runs with turpentine after it cools.

Andover, Vermont

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 05:15:45 AM »
Them are some big gaps to fill but may be your best bet to attempt some sort of restoration. My question on replacing the plug would be "would the horn survive it?" I would be delicate on removal and the new fit up. By the looks of it it may have to be trimmed to get into some better integrity material....but Idont know...never done a refurb. If you did trim though there goes some of your beautiful patina. Perhaps you could do some googling and see what is posted on rehydrating horn slowly if you did remove the plug to be better able to fit up a new one. Something that would make the horn a bit more pliable and less brittle? Keep us posted,...its a pretty Horn. -Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:38 AM »
Just my personal opinion:

I'd leave it as it is.  Use it as a wall display and guide to making one of your own.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 04:52:31 PM »
 If you really want to use it I think it can be fixed. PM or email me and I will write a couple of ideas up for you. One thing to think about is that the strap holder at the tip is very fine and you may have trouble keeping a strap on it. Looks like there was a staple/nail/screw of some sort in the butt.
 Unless an old horn is usable as found I think I would leave it and make/buy another.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:08:01 AM by Tim Crosby »

brokenflint

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 11:14:29 PM »
Put it on display.   LW must be Lew Wetzel's Horn, J/k, J/K  nice find!

Offline Wolfeknives

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »
Thank you for all the suggestions. I do have a powderhorn I use regularly. Just thought it may be nice to use an antique at times. But, as suggested in your comments, I think I will just use it for display on my gun rack for now.

I would still like to try making a horn of my own, have been looking for a source for horns in Canada.

Wolfgang

Offline J Henry

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »
 Just like an old hound,,   let them sleep in the sun, on the porch.They earned it.