Author Topic: Lock won't always hold in Half Cock position  (Read 1970 times)

Garytomb

Lock won't always hold in Half Cock position
« on: August 13, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »
Please forgive me if I used the wrong terminology in describing the issue I'm having, but here it goes..... I have chambers Golden Age Lock and the problem I'm having, is that it doesn't always engage in the half cock position. I lost the original fly and replaced it with one from Track of the wolf. I cleaned up the fly before installing but still have the intermittent issues with the fly not engaging at half cock. No problems at the full cocked position. Any help would be appreciated......thanks

Online bob in the woods

Re: Lock won't always hold in Half Cock position
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 03:22:50 PM »
Is the fly moving freely ?   

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »
Possibilities: dirt in the half-cock notch, too much (or too thick) grease on the fly.

The fly does not "engage" the half cock notch.  It allows the sear to slide over the half cock notch upon firing, but when cocking the lock, the fly should "flip" out to the way, allowing the sear to engage the half cock notch.

Is this a new lock, or has it been working up until the fly replacement?  Does the problem occur whether the lock is in the gun or out?

Take the fly out and check the half cock and full cock functions.  Reassemble with a little lube oil or light grease.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »
Is the fly moving freely ?

Does the sear spring have enough tension to make it engage in the first position?

Bob Roller

Offline little joe

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 03:59:14 PM »
Send it to Mr. Chambers

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
If the nose of the fly is too short, the sear won't always catch it and push it out of the way.  You may  have cleaned it up more than you think.  It needs to stick out past the tumbler just a little to allow the sear to hit it when cocking the hammer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:13:20 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »
Make sure sear isn’t hitting wood somewhere in inlet. I had this problem once after long bout of high humidity.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Garytomb

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »
Thanks for all the great feedback! I've tried some of these ideas and will try the others. What a great forum!

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »
Please forgive me if I used the wrong terminology in describing the issue I'm having, but here it goes..... I have chambers Golden Age Lock and the problem I'm having, is that it doesn't always engage in the half cock position. I lost the original fly and replaced it with one from Track of the wolf. I cleaned up the fly before installing but still have the intermittent issues with the fly not engaging at half cock. No problems at the full cocked position. Any help would be appreciated......thanks

You may have either the wrong fly (mislabeled by TOTW) or an aftermarket fly from them.  Both situations have happened to me with parts from them.  A fly is dirt cheap, just call Jim Chambers and order two of them.  One for your immediate need and one for the next time you lose one.  Flies get misplaced/lost like a sock in the clothes dryer and you can never discover where it went.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »
What Little Joe and Mole Eyes said. Send it to Jim Chambers and let his excellent customer service handle the issue. I suspect the TOW replacement is the suspect in this case btw. In any case it is a safety issue so let a professional correct the problem.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Garytomb

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 05:09:04 PM »
Thanks again everyone! Just ordered two finished fly's from Jim Chambers. Hope this solves the problem but if not, I'll send him the lock and ask for his expert advise.  Thanks again!

ltdann

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »
Does it happen when the lock is out of the firearm?  If so, it's a problem with the lock. 

If it only happens when the lock is installed, try taking out the trigger group.  If it happens with the trigger group out, then probably the trigger bar is putting pressure on the sear bar and you'll need to file  it down some. If the trigger bar is as low as you can get, MAYBE file a little off the bottom of the sear (tread lightly here).   

If it still happens with the lock installed w/trigger group out, then it's likely wood interference or the fly.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 06:46:19 PM »
Does it happen when the lock is out of the firearm?  If so, it's a problem with the lock. 

If it only happens when the lock is installed, try taking out the trigger group.  If it happens with the trigger group out, then probably the trigger bar is putting pressure on the sear bar and you'll need to file  it down some. If the trigger bar is as low as you can get, MAYBE file a little off the bottom of the sear (tread lightly here).   

If it still happens with the lock installed w/trigger group out, then it's likely wood interference or the fly.

Thank you, Itdann, you saved me ten minutes of writing. This is a PERFECT tutorial on how to assess where the likely source of the problem is.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 07:11:17 PM »
Mine was doing the same thing......had my screws torqued to tight, loosed them up a half turn and works fine at least for me.
aka “digger658”

ltdann

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 09:02:25 PM »

Thank you, Itdann, you saved me ten minutes of writing. This is a PERFECT tutorial on how to assess where the likely source of the problem is.

LOL, ask me how I know....

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 10:11:31 PM »
"Does this happen in or out of the gun" is the very first question with almost lock cocking/firing problems.

We so often jump to contusions about the lock geometry or the maker; when it's the inlet or relationship to the trigger set.

It seems so sedimentary, dear Watson, but the tiniest piece of wood can have you scratching your head, searching in all the wrong places.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 10:51:13 PM »
"Does this happen in or out of the gun" is the very first question with almost lock cocking/firing problems.

We so often jump to contusions about the lock geometry or the maker; when it's the inlet or relationship to the trigger set.

It seems so sedimentary, dear Watson, but the tiniest piece of wood can have you scratching your head, searching in all the wrong places.

Exactly!  first question: Is the machine plugged in?  First gun builders question: Does this happen when the lock is out of the gun or only when the lock is in the gun.... My experience is more with the in the gun problems.... Cause I am the guy who inlet the triggers and lock :-(    :( :( :o

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming